D&D 5E What's the point of Giant Insect?

Ashrym

Legend
It's not a wizard spell because of the nature theme, just like wizards don't get earthquake. Diviners don't get every divination spell that exists either. ;-)

The design decision is that (even though they do get a lot) wizards don't get everything.

Gadget

Adventurer
I believe the spell has always been a cleric/druid spell, so that is why the wizard does not get access. Also, it technically does not summon the creatures, merely enhances those that are already present. This seemed to fit into the nature themed Druid spell list back in the day; plus wizards had plenty of other summoning spells to keep them going back then.

Tony Vargas

Legend
It's also about the worst named spell, since centipedes, spiders and scorpions are not insects.
In the pre-Linnaean 'Great Chain of Being' credited by the learned of the middle ages, spiders & scorpions were insects.
Given how anachronistic D&D spell names & descriptions are everywhere else, though, I'd consider that a happy accident.

I think the 3e convention of /Vermin/ was pretty a pretty reasonable alternative.

Remove ads