What's the WORST Star Wars movie?

What's the WORST Star Wars movie? (vote for up to 3)

• Ep I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Ep 2: Attack of the Clones

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Ep 3: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Ep 4: A New Hope

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Ep 6: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Ep 7: The Force Awakens

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • Ep 8: The Last Jedi

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Ep 9: The Rise of Skywalker

Votes: 95 60.5%
  • Rogue One

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Solo

Votes: 16 10.2%

Zardnaar

Legend
Well...hello there.

Actually, I didn't read the EU novels until after I saw TLJ. As a movie it is technically superior to any of the other Disney era movies. It really is superior if taken ONLY as a movie and not part of a continuing storyline or franchise. At least, as far as it was made. It's actual writing and story....well...

As a movie that makes sense, it is absolutely the WORST movie (of course, that is key for a LOT of RJ's movies), racist to boot (also true to RJ's movies, people like to talk about Knives out...the question for that movie is why the minority is basically ALSO a white individual even if ethnically they fall into a minority group, so many OTHER representations he COULD have used...but no...let's go with the white one instead), and from what I can see, not very into the actual spirit of Star Wars. (The racist part was probably the most offensive to me though, but it's something I think most don't even notice in regards to HOW the movie actually treats minorities and their importance to the plot in their effectiveness or what they accomplish).

It was bad enough in that light that I thought even the EU couldn't be THIS bad. I had scorned the EU for the most part up until then, thinking it was a bunch of poorly written novels. With TLJ I felt nothing in them could be that bad (and for the most part, from what I've heard now, they aren't...key is being on heard). Now, I admit, I couldn't really stand reading them still, so I got them on audio book and listened to them while I traveled. Not the best, but more consistent than TLJ was with the rest of Star Wars and most of them at least make more sense in relation to the whole of what they are compared to.

So, technically I suppose you are right, I've listened to many EU books since TLJ came out. I didn't BEFORE TLJ came out though. It was the nonsense of TLJ (2d chase in space...really? Can't hyperspace past them and do a pincer movement, even in 2d? really? Luke's 3 lessons were actually 2 lessons? Really...Luke can't count and neither can Rey??? He can't even count to 3! Much less 10. Luke dies because he forced too hard? Does this mean I can focus too hard to the point it will kill me as well?? You know those people who die constantly from focusing too hard for an hour or so. College students are dying like flies! Like...that's really a thing???)

It just goes on and on on and on (Cell phone jokes that got dated REALLY quickly and are dated even now are a thing in a totally different universe??? Using said jokes are actually going to work against a military force that we are supposed to think were able to take over the galaxy in a few hours? And we are supposed to think this military force was able to threaten the galaxy when they are stalled by a few yo mama jokes???? Really...what is this...is this how you make the bad guys look efficient and menacing, or how you make the good guys look like they are really...really...really just terrible at doing what they do????...etc...etc...ect).

There are some ridiculous things in Lucas's approved EU books, but normally they don't stretch my limits of imagination the way TLJ did.

There's worse than TLJ in the old EU. People tend to cherry pick the good parts of it (KotoR, Thrawn trilogy, X-Wing books).

Even the worst EU books tend to be more consistent they're bad like AotC or TPM is bad Boring slugfest or stupid scenarios etc.

Disney is generally doing better than the old EU in consistency but haven't hit the same heights with their best stuff.

Even then it's mostly just 2 of the sequel movies and maybe BoBF (it's not that bad)

Best of old EU still holds up you don't reread the bad parts.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
All the way up to and including Last Jedi I thought that people who felt that the sequels were worse than the prequels were insane. The prequels were terrible, terrible films that did actual damage to the value of the Star Wars setting.

Then came Rise of Skywalker.

The truth of the matter is that while we love the setting and the idea of Star Wars, the reality is that there are more bad movies than there are good ones. Remember when Return of the Jedi was the worst Star Wars movie? It was once!

On a slightly different tangent, I noticed with Andor and the upcoming Acolyte, they are trying out some new genre mash-ups other than just "Space Western" (or more correctly, "Space Samurai", as most great westers are remakes of samurai films, and so is Star Wars). Andor was a political/heist/jailbreak and Acolyte is a mystery/thriller, apparently.

This may be the way to save Star Wars. (Though Mando did Lone Wolf and Cub, bringing things back to their Samurai roots).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The truth of the matter is that while we love the setting and the idea of Star Wars, the reality is that there are more bad movies than there are good ones. Remember when Return of the Jedi was the worst Star Wars movie? It was once!
The Alien franchise is crossing its exoskeletal fingers and hoping for a few more stinkers from Star Wars to make the Aliens ratio look a lot better than it is.

Zardnaar

Legend
He killed so many senior officers in Empire Strikes Back, just for relaying bad news, that it became a recurring joke across pop culture.

Trashing an elevator is deeply zen in comparison.

He dud but it's in presentation. It establishes Vader as a badass/evil and powerful and some of those officers were incompetent.

Kylo came across as petulant teenager who needs time out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads