D&D 5E What's to Like about Eberron?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Certainly there are a wide array of inspirations, but the unique bit from other settings is the 20's-30's Europe feel (source: James Wyatt, Chris Perkins, Jeremy Crawford and Keith Baker).

Cyberpunk is intentionally a 20's-30's retro-future, with a heavy emphasis on Noir elements. Like Raymond Chandler.

Two of Phillip K. Dick's students and close friends invented the term "Steampunk," interestingly enough.
Oh jfc I’m done

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Sure is a lot of industrialized and commodified magic items and services, direct cyberpunk influence, examinations of what is “monstrous” vs what is “human” as a key theme, Psuedo-Victorian tech level accomplished by magic, in other published dnd settings.

Yeeeup. Definitely the 30’s noir/pulp influence is the only unique thing in Eberron. Fooor sure.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sure is a lot of industrialized and commodified magic items and services, direct cyberpunk influence, examinations of what is “monstrous” vs what is “human” as a key theme, Psuedo-Victorian tech level accomplished by magic, in other published dnd settings.

Yeeeup. Definitely the 30’s noir/pulp influence is the only unique thing in Eberron. Fooor sure.

Those other bits flow from the Interbellum setting, as they did in the original fiction. Indeed, most of those are just straight up 20's-30's pulp themes.

Cyberpunk is Neo-Noir for the 80's, Eberron is Noir.

Bolares

Hero
People gave a great idea of the setting here, so I'm just gonna say what made me fall in love with the setting. It's D&D, but with consequences to its absurdity. Here are some examples...

If elves live so long, how do they view death, tradition and legacy? Eberron has distinct elven cultures that have that as their centerpiece, either usingmagic to keep their ancestors alive or by emulating their past deeds.

Magic in D&D is predictable, repeateable andobservable, so Eberron treats it like science and looks at how the world would evolve with the magical marvels that the game gives us.

Religion is about faith, not about facts. If your god walks around you,you don't need faith to venerate them. So in Eberron religions are either based in powerfull entities or not present gods, and there is real doubt and discussion about where divine magic comes from, as both the classical cleric and one that does not believe in gods can have the same powers.

Different races and creatures aren't tied to an aligment, you have to observe each individual to know if they are good or not.

Bolares

Hero
In shared worlds, where many, many hands have helped craft it, I don't feel like the originator is "special." Most of the best Star Wars material is made by people other than Lucas, for example. In fact, THE best Star Wars movie (ESB) has shockingly little Lucas control over it. And having listened to a lot of The Manifest Zone, I actually prefer some of the details and flavor from official WotC books from the 3E era more than I do Baker's personal spin on things.
This is another beauty of Eberron. The setting has a lot of open ideas that incetivise you to create your Eberron, with the things that fit better in your table. My Eberron, yours, Baker's, and anyone else's is equally valid and probably interesting. I love discussions about how different is the mournland in different tables for an example.

Remove ads