D&D 5E What's to Like about Eberron?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Perhaps, but Keith Baker's particular spin on things, and the thought that he pas put in to them seem to make his view on Eberron more internally consistent than the one presented by all of the Eberron books.

For example in some of the splash books that he had less input into, the Silver Flame is portrayed almost as a caricature, rather than how it is presented in the original campaign setting.
Generally when Keith clarifies something and he has to start by saying "Well, in my Eberron . . ." I'll take that as my canon unless I particularly want to change it.
The BoV gets similar treatment sometimes when Keith isn’t there to keep things right.
What's neat though, is that their base religion, The Blood of Vol, isn't necessarily evil. One of the many Eberron characters I've wanted to play is a good-aligned member of the Blood of Vol, who's very into finding one's best self.
Sounds like my wife’s BoV Paladin.
Most of the followers of the religion are like that. To me 3.5 did a bad job presenting the blood of vol. It's not the public branch of the Emerald Claw, neither it's a cult to erandis vol.
Yep, just like the Silver Flame gets this reputation in some books as if the whole church was the Pure Flame cult.

I will go out on a tangent and say Shavarath. It is basically the Blood War plus archons (and arcadian avengers) in one small spot.

I also like the Overlords: a nice mix of traditional D&D heavyweight baddies (Tiamat), thinly veiled versions of traditional D&D heavyweight baddies (I wonder what demon lords the Spinner of Shadows and the Horned Prince are supposed to be?), and some new ones. If Eberron had been the default for the start of 5e, I suspect we would have AP's featuring about half of the Overlords by now. They have a sort of "best of" feel like the default gods in 4e's Nethir Vale.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
What's neat though, is that their base religion, The Blood of Vol, isn't necessarily evil. One of the many Eberron characters I've wanted to play is a good-aligned member of the Blood of Vol, who's very into finding one's best self.

I wanted to play a Blood of Vol Undead Warlock when Eberron was introduced to Adventure League. Alas, PHB+1 prevented that, so he's a necromancer wizard instead. But yeah, I like the Blood of Vol idea, too. Though I'm a Silver Flame guy myself ;)

Remove ads