What's wrong with... Divine Power?

What's wrong with... Divine Power?

• Leave D&D Rules alone, this belongs to House Rules.

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I'm fine with this spell as is.

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • This spell needs an errata, some way or another.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Good starting point. Some modifications below.

Votes: 5 7.1%

SpikeyFreak

First Post
Crothian said:
That's why Disple Magics are in the game.

Slkightly off topic: But am I the only one sick of all these personal boosting spells? There are way to many, and they have no flavor. They just increase numbers on the character sheet. They seem cold, and distant.
I just hate when a cleric does all the boosting and never once mentions their god or faith whilst doing so.

--Spread Out Spikey

Crothian

First Post
SpikeyFreak said:

I just hate when a cleric does all the boosting and never once mentions their god or faith whilst doing so.

--Spread Out Spikey

Not just with these spell, but with everything. I only recall one PC ever truely playing a cleric. His god was the god of crafts. So, every city we went to he'd seek out the craftsmen and bless their tools. He'd talk about their techniques and spread better ones. It was really cool. But most clerics get play like wizards in armor, with better weapons, and a completely different spell list.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...

Could be worse. When you get treated to a sermon every time he gives you a Bless or a CLW, don't you just want to punch him? :)

My last Cleric (Brandobaris) always used to roll Will Saves every time the other cleric in the party (Obad-Hai) cast spells like Bless, to avoid the effects - she felt it was blasphemous to accept the blessing of another deity. (I know it's described as Saving Throw : None, but the DM had no problem with it.)

-Hyp.

Crothian

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Could be worse. When you get treated to a sermon every time he gives you a Bless or a CLW, don't you just want to punch him? :)

My last Cleric (Brandobaris) always used to roll Will Saves every time the other cleric in the party (Obad-Hai) cast spells like Bless, to avoid the effects - she felt it was blasphemous to accept the blessing of another deity. (I know it's described as Saving Throw : None, but the DM had no problem with it.)

-Hyp.

See, that;s cool. You need to move to Ohio and join my group. None of my players would ever think of that.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
See, that;s cool. You need to move to Ohio and join my group. None of my players would ever think of that.

Well, she was a kind of annoying character.

I wrote out a whole list of excerpts from The Book of Tembo (Tembo Goneaway is a variant name for Brandobaris in the campaign), and pretty much no matter what situation arose, she had a bizarre and scarcely decipherable quotation to preach.

Jo : "Tembo teaches us, 'There is no glory in glory'."
Party : "Jo... shut up."

:)

-Hyp.

StealthyMark

First Post
I really have no problem with an Empowered Empowered Empowered Bull's Strength, lasting 15 hours (8th spell level, same as Persistent Divine Power), though I have a big problem with the very poor rules handling on Divine Power, regardless of its duration or it's "dispelability". I'd rather add Haste as 4th level spell to the cleric spell list.

Persistent Spell is similar poor. Where Extend Spell is very easy and very balanced for every applicable spell, Persistent Spell simply isn't. And changing the original duration of a given spell from 1 rd/level to 10 rds/level is, IMO, also no solution. That's exactly what Extend Spell is designed for. You'd need to Extend a spell nine times to achieve this result - +9 levels. Why should another feat do exactly the same effect cheaper?

Madfox

First Post
The use of persistent spell is more limited then the use of extend spell. The first can only be used on spells that have a range of personal. The second can be used on any spells with a longer duration then instanteous. This means that spells like bull's strength, mage armour, greater magic weapon and so on can not be made persistent. Of course, there are a few spells that become unbalanced with a duration of 24 hrs. Shield would be a good example of such a spell. Mind you, none of my players has yet considered the feat, but I would simply rule that shield can not be made persistent.

Remove ads