What's wrong with... Divine Power?

What's wrong with... Divine Power?

• Leave D&D Rules alone, this belongs to House Rules.

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I'm fine with this spell as is.

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • This spell needs an errata, some way or another.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Good starting point. Some modifications below.

Votes: 5 7.1%

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Crothian said:
And that's where a problem lies. A weaker metamagic feat is more efective. I think there are people who would term that "Broken". I just think it needs rethought.

A feat and a 4th level spell slot for 1d4+1 Str lasting twice your level in hours is broken? That's a first to me... compare to a 2nd level spell doing the same for half the time (as long as you'll need), or a different metamagic feat for 1.5*(1d4+1) Str.

Did you mean "shafted"? :)

Crothian

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

A feat and a 4th level spell slot for 1d4+1 Str lasting twice your level in hours is broken? That's a first to me... compare to a 2nd level spell doing the same for half the time (as long as you'll need), or a different metamagic feat for 1.5*(1d4+1) Str.

Did you mean "shafted"? :)

No, I was just trying to make apoint by over doing it. I'm saying that a lesser meatmagic feat (extend) should never be in a situation where it is better then a more powerful verision (persistant). Especially when the lesser is a prerequite for the greater.

Not that's it's all that important, anyway.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Hypersmurf said:
Good grief.

Are we seriously going to argue that "Persistent Spell got the Shaft!"?

Sure. :)

Actually, I was tryign to figure out what Croth' was trying to argue, as his example didn't make Persistant Spell seem useful. If you want to make it look powerful, try it on shield - I sure hope you can't.

Crothian

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

Sure. :)

Actually, I was tryign to figure out what Croth' was trying to argue, as his example didn't make Persistant Spell seem useful. If you want to make it look powerful, try it on shield - I sure hope you can't.

No doubt the spells powerful. I just think that it should be better then extend in all situations, which it is not.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
It's not just persistance spell + divine power.

There are other spells that you can toss in, like divine favor (a FIRST level spell) that make it really scarey.

A 20th level cleric with divine favor and divine power gets +11 on attack bonus, one extra attack and +6 damage.

Than have an empowered or double empowered bulls strength for about +8 to Strength (for +4/+4 to attack/damage) and you have your self a better tank than the fighter. If he's a cleric of the strength domain and he plans on being a fighter type, he's going to have +5 from tomes too. That's +13 total.

And don't forget magic vestment and greater magic weapon. A suit of normally +1 full plate that has +9 of enchantments becomes an effective +14 suit. Then do the same with his weapon.

And don't forget that if he gets a little low on HP in combat he can cast heal on himself on the defensive.

High level clerics are by far the scariest class. At least to me.

--Anti-Faithful Spikey

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
That's why Disple Magics are in the game.

Slkightly off topic: But am I the only one sick of all these personal boosting spells? There are way to many, and they have no flavor. They just increase numbers on the character sheet. They seem cold, and distant.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Crothian said:
But am I the only one sick of all these personal boosting spells? There are way to many, and they have no flavor. They just increase numbers on the character sheet. They seem cold, and distant.

I don't really mind them, though clerics run a serious risk of overshadowing fighters with their buffing spells... especially since there's a dearth of useful fighter feats for levels 10-20.

SpikeyFreak

First Post
CRGreathouse said:

I don't really mind them, though clerics run a serious risk of overshadowing fighters with their buffing spells... especially since there's a dearth of useful fighter feats for levels 10-20.
After you have all the feats you want as a fighter, then start taking cleric levels!!!

--Sarcastic Spikey

Remove ads