What's wrong with... Divine Power?

What's wrong with... Divine Power?

• Leave D&D Rules alone, this belongs to House Rules.

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I'm fine with this spell as is.

Votes: 41 58.6%
  • This spell needs an errata, some way or another.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Good starting point. Some modifications below.

Votes: 5 7.1%

SpikeyFreak

First Post
StealthyMark said:

No, I hadn't yet. Only one of my players is able to cast it, he used it once (human Clr8, Str 14). But while designing some NPCs, I wondered about this spell and it's companion Persistent Spell.

Persistant spell combined with some of the better cleric spells makes the fighter class almost obsolete.

I have banned persistent spell IMC.

--Mean Spikey

Crothian

First Post
We are about to, in my group, start dealing with persistant spell. I think the druids going to aquire it. The spells it can be used on are quit limited, and I've never gone through the books figureing out exactly what can be used for it.

If you are finding it is to powerful, the x10 duration is a way to go. But be careful. The spells with a duration of 1hr/per level will be lasting for many days.

Fast Learner

First Post
Indeed, I think Persistant Spell is the broken part of the equation. In my opinion duration is the number one balancing factor in spells and metamagic that seriously increases the duration, even with the feat's limitations, runs a huge risk of breaking all kinds of things.

Crothian

First Post
If the players abuse it to much, I'll havea sale on Dispel Magic Wands. By the time the players get to the shop, it'll be all sold out. They'll have no idea who has the wands and it'll make sense when thy are constantly having their spells dispelled.:D

Chris Coulter

First Post
Fast Learner said:
StealthyMark, I'm curious: have you had this spell break anything in your game? Have you had a cleric use it in a way that caused a problem?

I've got this in the game I play in. Xavier, our cleric casts it as a persistant spell on himself every morning (or he used to, I'm not sure if he still does...)

Leaves me feeling a bit out in the cold as the groups fighter type. If I didn't have an abundance of personality as The Ironfist, I might not have as much fun as I do.

I have been quite thankful more than once that he's covering my back though.

Persistant durations need to reflect ,in some way, the original duration of the spell to pevent the original spell's balace from being lost.

Crothian

First Post
Chris Coulter said:

I've got this in the game I play in. Xavier, our cleric casts it as a persistant spell on himself every morning (or he used to, I'm not sure if he still does...)

Leaves me feeling a bit out in the cold as the groups fighter type. If I didn't have an abundance of personality as The Ironfist, I might not have as much fun as I do.

I have been quite thankful more than once that he's covering my back though.

Persistant durations need to reflect ,in some way, the original duration of the spell to pevent the original spell's balace from being lost.

Do you guys run into any wizards casting Dispel Magics or anything like that that would negate the spell? I agree the feat isn't one of Wizard's best efforts. But as DM, many have said they would o to lengths to show their clerics in the groups that it is not the answer to everything.

StealthyMark

First Post
Persistent Spell

What about changing persistant spell to, say, 10x normal duration?
Seems like a balanced solution. A Divine Favor (1st to 5th spell level) would last 1 min/level. An Alter Self (2nd to 6th spell level) would last 100 min/level, likely some hours. Even the dreaded Persistent Time Stop becomes at least... umm, thinkable.
Do you guys run into any wizards casting Dispel Magics or anything like that that would negate the spell?
Of course, I could let my NPCs cast Dispel Magic very often, to get rid of this spell/feat. But wouldn't it be better to disallow the spell/feat in the first place? A standard Divine Power may be to short to be a real pain. Enter Persistent Spell. If I were a Fighter/Barbarian in the party, I were quite irritated.

Last edited:

Allister

First Post
Like many, I find "Persistent Spell" very troubling. My solution was to simply change the time interval. Thus, a 1 round/level spell becomes a 1 min/level spell, a 1 min/level spell becomes 10 min/level and a 10min/level spell becomes a 1 hour/level spell. (With a 1 hr/level spell becoming a full day spell).

Allister
P.S. Anyone notice that in many of the classbooks, that the most egregious examples of overpowered characters actually come about with classes that AREN'T the focus? Pre-errata S&F: Rogue with Expert Tactician and Ninja of the Crescent Moon, DotF: Any PrC that offers +1 spellcasting level (meaning that sorcerer make out like bandits), T&B: Persistent Spell + Cleric equals obsolete fighter.

Madfox

First Post
People worry about an 8th lvl spell that changes the BAB into that of a fighter and create a solid strength of 18 (due to enhancement bonusses) for 24 hours? By those leves an empowered Bull's strength is much more effective and the warrior classes are much more then their BAB.

Remove ads