D&D 5E Whats your dealbreaker for 5E?

This complaining about "roles" seems silly to me.

My last 2e campaign had no cleric, just a paladin. It was not fun. We had 2 hit points of healing a day, and the DM gave out healing potions like water. Roles existed since the time fighting men and magic-users strode down hallways.

This doesn't mean you can't have fun without clerics or what have you, but that's not really edition dependent. (While 4e codified the rules, it also made it possible to play without healers at all, far more easily than previous editions.)

Derren

Hero
So when you see options presented in the rules are you going roll to disbelieve?

In my opinion optional rules do not work.
Either they are so well supported that they are core or not supported at all and are nothing more than suggested house rules.
And considering that the complexity increases with each optional rule you support I think 5Es optional skill will be the latter.

In my opinion optional rules do not work.
Either they are so well supported that they are core or not supported at all and are nothing more than suggested house rules.
And considering that the complexity increases with each optional rule you support I think 5Es optional skill will be the latter.

Adding a skill system does add a little complexity to the game but that will happen regardless if its a core rule or an optional one. If as you say, complexity increases with every optional rule, its good to leave it out because not everyone wants a complex game.

Derren

Hero
Adding a skill system does add a little complexity to the game but that will happen regardless if its a core rule or an optional one. If as you say, complexity increases with every optional rule, its good to leave it out because not everyone wants a complex game.

I was not talking about the complexity of playing the game but the complexity of writing additional content for it.

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Nerfed magics and still having remnants of that si8lly vancian stuff. So probably not going to buy everything, just what I need to adapt the house rules.

I was not talking about the complexity of playing the game but the complexity of writing additional content for it.

A skill system if it exists at all, would need to be written. How would writing it be less complex as part of the core rules yet more complex as an optional module? It would seem the opposite of reality to me. Producing more content that must work as part of the core would be the higher complexity chore.

Starfox

Hero
Have to agree with Darren, for dthe game designer and for the adventure writer, having an optional skill system does make things trickier. You have to take bot skills and no skills options into account and balance around both.

Remove ads