D&D 5E Whats your dealbreaker for 5E?

Melhaic

First Post
Totally this.

Right now 5E is closer then anything else. But it could get closer still.

That's about where I'm at. I like 3e/ PF, but I miss the feel of AD&D. It would be great if they kept the core rules as meta setting-free as possible. It should be easy to adopt a no magic shop stance (which thankfully is the default right now), or any other change of that ilk, without contradicting the PHB. The complexity level is there for me right now: I'm running an 8th level PF game right now and the bookkeeping is a bit much. 5e looks to be more my speed.

Vague Jayhawk

First Post
I am leaning towards getting it. I like most of what I see so far.

The dealbreaker would be if there was somehow a monthly subscription, or required use of miniatures, or collectable cards. I don't see this happening, but if it does, it is an automatic dealbreaker for me.

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
A save is not a defense. The target rolls a 'save'; I prefer the attacker to have to roll 'to hit' against a 'defense' target number, like an AC (or FORT, REF, and WILL).

The only difference between a save roll and save defense is who does the rolling. All 4E did was replace the save roll with +10; drop the +10 to spell/power DCs and add a roll.
Hell, during a mass combat session for a 3.0 game, no one rolled attacks or saves unless targeting a specific individual. Everything was just bonus +10. Bonus being the average of the units.

OT: No skills really bugs the hell out of me.

Starfox

Hero
The only difference between a save roll and save defense is who does the rolling. All 4E did was replace the save roll with +10; drop the +10 to spell/power DCs and add a roll.

Well, an emergent quality of this was that attacks against other than AC became a lot more common - most everyone could hit you in the NADs. In 3E, attacks with saving throws were the exception. Not saying it's good or bad, only that a seemingly small change can have much more consequence than is at first apparent.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
When WotC announced that they are working on a new version of D&D I was excited because of all the PR but also guarded, like a lot of folks, buying a new edition of D&D by default was no longer in the cards for me, infact back then I told my friends that I don't have time for D&D anymore and that I'd rather just spend my time playing BF3 instead. And then the playtest documents came out and it was realy realy interesting, so me and my group (who were hard core 4e players and before hard core 3e players) played a bit and we loved it, and we played a bit more and we still love it.

So I don't have a dealbreaker, there are some things that I miss or don't like but it's not something that realy bother me. Also, the past year with the playtest process realy reaffirmed my trust in WotC, Especialy when I see that a lot of the things I said in the surveys got changed in subsequent iterations.

My only disappointment would be if there wouldn't be a solid GL that will allow 3rd party developer (like ENWorld and Open Design) to support their settings in 5e.

Warder

NewJeffCT

First Post
What I would dislike is if it takes a DM a long time to prepare encounters. I ran a 3.5e campaign that featured mainly evil wizards & clerics as the bad guys. Once the game got up past level 8/9 or so, it was a huge chore for me to design evil wizards and clerics that were interesting and unique, and not just the previous wizard or cleric with another level tacked on.

That said, I found the lack of options for bad guys to be unsatisfying for me as a DM when I ran a 4e game. It was a breeze to prepare, and the extra time allowed me to beef up the story more and provide more role play opportunities, but when it came down to combat, my bad guy would be stuck doing the same "at will" power for the last 6-8-10 rounds of combat after they blew their daily or encounter powers and action points in rounds 1 and 2.

So, (1) I guess I would prefer bad guys that have more options, but not an overwhelming amount like 3.5e and PF.

and

(2) I would hope not to see the magic item "Christmas Tree" effect as well. I hated that both 3e, 4e and PF kind of require you to have certain amounts of magic items to defeat encounters of the appropriate level.

(3) faster combats. Combats in 3e, 4e and PF can get very tedious and long (the climactic combat in that 3.5e campaign I ran took two entire 6 hour sessions to complete - 8 PCs and several allies against the BBEG, a Pit Fiend, some summoned monsters and a bunch of lower level bad guys. I even recruited a friend of one of my players to help me run the bad guys to speed things up...)

Weather Report

Banned
Banned
That's about where I'm at. I like 3e/ PF, but I miss the feel of AD&D. It would be great if they kept the core rules as meta setting-free as possible. It should be easy to adopt a no magic shop stance (which thankfully is the default right now), or any other change of that ilk, without contradicting the PHB. The complexity level is there for me right now: I'm running an 8th level PF game right now and the bookkeeping is a bit much. 5e looks to be more my speed.

Yep, I'm in the same boat, ran my 3rd Ed campaign up to around 13th level, and it just became so laborious, we then switched to 4th Ed, after running 8 or 9 sessions (around 8-hours each) I became disillusioned, started perusing all my D&D stuff (especially 1st/2nd Ed) and other sources (like SWSE) to come up with my own system, then, bam, they announce 5th Ed, and so far it is looking kind of like what I had in mind, a what I wanted back in 2,000 (a sort of 2.5)

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Any required miniatures, electronic component, or subscription. I don't mind any of those things existing, nor them being very, very nice-to-have. But if they're required (or even as 'required' as the Character Builder became for 4e), then I'm out.

However, those are just deal-breakers. In order to make the deal, the final 5e releases need to be reviewed positively by people I trust, at which point I'll buy. And then it has to give the D&D experience I'm used to, and be "better enough" than 3e at the same job, for me to switch over. If not, it will be just another edition gathering dust on my shelves, along with so many others.

This!

Remove ads