D&D General What's your Elevator Pitch? D&D + ??? = $$$

I generally go for the good stuff, because you just plain get a better cocktail. The exception is that as I get more into cocktails of the 70s and 80s, I will generally go with Seagram's blended whiskey, because something like that is what they likely would've been using at the time. Heck, the 7&7 specifically calls for Seagram's 7.

Well spirits? NEVER!

Not only do I always go call to get the premium stuff ... but we are talking TOP SHELF, BABY!

Well spirits are for people who lack the self-esteem to booze right.

I could totally see this working. I'd probably take the optional Honor stat and rename it Status.

The funny thing is, one of the first things I saw about D&D Next in action was a blog using it to run a Downtown Abbey-inspired campaign.

D&D plus Jane Austenesque Regency romantic comedy of manners, on the other hand, would be glorious.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I generally go for the good stuff, because you just plain get a better cocktail. The exception is that as I get more into cocktails of the 70s and 80s, I will generally go with Seagram's blended whiskey, because something like that is what they likely would've been using at the time. Heck, the 7&7 specifically calls for Seagram's 7.

NpX8vZ.gif

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
The reason I went MCU thing is simple: To make a truly great fantasy film you need to blend things together. Take Star Wars for example.

Not the modern ones, or the prequels, not even Empire or Jedi. But actual honest to god Star Wars. New Hope, 4, whatever subtitle you want to slap onto it after the fact. Star. Wars.

You've got a Spy introduction. Then it turns into a coming of age story. Then a prison break. Then a WW2 movie centered around La Resistance. All of it wrapped up in Sci Fi and Fantasy, together.

And when I say "War Movie" I'm talking Tora Tora Tora and stuff. I'm talking situation rooms and maps and intimate close-up shots inside cockpits and spectacle shots of fast-moving vehicles swooping over the landscape and dogfighting.

All the while aping The Hidden Fortress, a Japanese film from '58 in which two bumbling peasants wind up being the key to rescuing a princess and saving a failing Rebellion.

Star Wars is not a film that Lucas came up with whole-cloth to hit a set of specific notes, filmed in a single consistent style, and presented whole as a monolithic piece. Star Wars is four or five different movies and styles pressed together into one harmonious whole (largely thanks to ridiculous quantities of editing).

Compare that to the D&D Movie we got with Irons. The setting and story were both created whole-cloth, a monolithic shooting style was chosen, and what weight the movie had was lost both to terrible CGI and a convoluted attempt to make a "Fantasy Epic" out of literally nothing. And the only thing that made it -remotely- D&D was the Beholder (which was treated like a guard dog instead of a terrifying monster) and a few spell-references here and there.

Strip the name "Dungeons and Dragons" off it and it would've been largely interchangeable with a ton of other late 90s through 2000s schlocky fantasy flicks and B-movies except people would've gone "Oh, hey... they had enough budget to get some famous people in it..."

Do -more- with D&D than "Fantasy Movie" and it'll make bank by standing out from the crowd.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
We've seen D&D + Clue, D&D + Monopoly, and D&D + Magic the Gathering. The time is ripe for the biggest D&D gaming crossover of them all:

D&D + D&D

A D&D themed version of D&D. It's a sure-fired winner!
You jest, but…

I’m not sure that a “isekai” style D&D adventure where you start as players starting a campaign and turn sucked into the world of the game wouldn’t sell.

Remove ads