• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favorite "basic" race to play (and why)?

Psion

Adventurer
Human.

I like elves, but the extra feat and extra skill points give me a level of customizability that core elves don't have.

Not to mention that halflings make better wizards than elves. They so wronged elves in 3e.

Kuld

Explorer
Dwarves are definitely my favorite. I guess I find them the most comfortable to play. It must be all the Dwarven emersion courses I took in college… just kiddin’, but I do find their culture and even their stereotypical dispositions (which I often ignore for PCs) to be the most likeable and fun to play/portray in most settings.

Now, this may sound weird but I have spent a better part of 18 years creating a ‘semi-unique’ dwarven culture/citadel set in the FR campaign setting. I took the time to describe everything up to the minutest of ethnographic detail. Unfortunately and fortunately most of what I created I have found used by others (authors, players, DMs, etc…) So either great minds think alike, I have been unwittingly influenced by these sources, or there are no original ideas in this thick skull of mine. What ever the case may be, I still have a blast working on it…

Tetsubo

First Post
Humans. The extra Feat and Skill Points are just to good to pass up. The fact that they don't have any stat penalties is also good. I can customize a human far more easily than the other races.

My second choice is Dwarf. Which I think is the coolest of the non-Human races.

Drowbane

First Post
Halflings, Dwarves, Humans. In that Order. The insane multitude of Elven subraces ruined them for me... I've always detested Gnomes... and I don't really consider 1/2 Elves and 1/2 Orcs worth mentioning. (but I did anyways :p)

I first played D&D as a Hobbit. I was 9yrs old, and tagged along in my elder brother's games. I loved it. Thus halflings will always have a place in my heart.

At this time of morning, I don't really have anything to say about Dwarves... other than I dig 'em.

In 2e, Humans were avoided like the Plague. The only reason to make a human was being a Paladin... and not having to worry about class level limits. In 3.x, Humans rule the game. +1 Feat is appearently too good for most people (myself included) to pass up. Its worth mentioning, that my favored Halfling... is the Strongheart Subrace from the Forgotten Realms. For those that don't know, they give up the +1 to all saves in favor of an extra feat. (kinda makes sense, as the Realms feat "Luck of Heroes" gives a +1 to all saves).

Edit: Note to Kuld~ Hey, another SD Gamer! Nice to see more of us on the MBs. Toss me an e-mail at Drowbane@gmail.com, we'll do Starbucks. :D

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
Add me to the chorus: humans.

Granted, I haven't had a chance to play anything other than humans in 3.x as yet. For the sake of variety, I opted to go halfling for our upcoming AoW campiagn. Not getting the extra feat and skill points was very hard for me to accept. :)

In 1e (never played 2e), I played a much wider variety: a lot of humans (no level limits), but also a lot of elves (best race in the game), dwarves, and halflings. (I also count myself among those who prefer the more hobbit-like halflings of previous editions.)

Dragonbait

Explorer
The little dudes

Gnomes and Halflings (the old D&D Hobbits, that is. And for that matter, the old big-nose, pointed ear gnomes). I don't know why, but they work well with me. I've always liked the reluctant-hero hobbits, and the image of the wise woodsmen with a sense of humor of the classic-style gnome. I am sometimes asked to play one of these two, on the race chance I get to be a PC.

However, my default race is Human. Basic, easy, I can role-play them, and they don't rock the boat in the race department. I've tried dwarves, and I really like the race, but I'm just not dwarfy enough. I can play them, but can not 'become' them. I don't 'do' elves and half-elves. I like it when others play as them, and play them well, they are just not for me. I've always been tempted by the half-orcs, but I have a feeling that they will not click with me.

If I could, I will occasionally deviate to non-core races. I was told I did a really good job with a kobold, a half-ogre, and a Zeetvah (sp? woo, one of my *real* favorite races, if you know SnarfQuest).

sydbar

Explorer
Gnomes illusionists are the best, illusions are perfect for us big nosed jokesters, i have even made drow wish they never messed with me. Cross a gnome illusionist and you are in for a world of hurt.

Barak

First Post
Anything that has no elven blood is fine by me. Surprisingly, I find myself loathing half-elves more than elves. I guess Dragonlance is to blame for that.

Sir Devria

First Post
Dwarves by far. Theres something about their tough, repugnent nature that I love. Not only are the very loyal (a value I admire in both life and fantasy) but theres something very reasuring about knowing that a gruff, hard as mountain stone, dwarf is watching your back. Its also their pragmatism that i like. Dwarfs seem so grounded were as i am not (thus D&D).

Remove ads