What's Your Favorite System for Star Wars

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Although it's descended from PbtA, it's about as different as Call of Cthulhu is from its forefather D&D.

I dunno. When I played a session of Scum and Villany, and we started going over the rules it was, "Oh, hey, this is a PbtA game. Okay, that makes picking this up easy..."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's the best system for a true Star Wars feel. SWD20, for example, is a good system, it just never actually feels like Star Wars. It slows down for combat and that is antithetical to SW.

Weird. Because I was always more satisfied with the speed of resolution in the d20 version than the d6.

I mean, when your D6 pilot wants to drop a force point, and has to gather a bazillion d6, roll them, and then count out the results... this is not tense or quick.

BronzeDragon

Explorer
Weird. Because I was always more satisfied with the speed of resolution in the d20 version than the d6.

I mean, when your D6 pilot wants to drop a force point, and has to gather a bazillion d6, roll them, and then count out the results... this is not tense or quick.

In more than 25 years of running WEG (and even playing a couple times) I've never encountered this issue.

I guess the guys I game(d) with were unusually good with addition. :D

Speed of resolution was not the issue that slowed down D20 games. It was all the tactical positioning and planning that was kinda sorta encouraged by the system. I never needed to run battle mats with WEG, and yet SWD20 essentially required it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
In more than 25 years of running WEG (and even playing a couple times) I've never encountered this issue.

I guess the guys I game(d) with were unusually good with addition. :D

Dude, with respect, reading one d20 is a heck of a lot faster than totalling up from 20plusD6. Our pilot has a lot of skill.

Speed of resolution was not the issue that slowed down D20 games. It was all the tactical positioning and planning that was kinda sorta encouraged by the system. I never needed to run battle mats with WEG, and yet SWD20 essentially required it.

Ah. We didn't find a need for battlemats for our d20 Star Wars. So, between the two system, actual speed of resolution became the controlling factor.

BronzeDragon

Explorer
Dude, with respect, reading one d20 is a heck of a lot faster than totalling up from 20plusD6. Our pilot has a lot of skill.

Well, with respect, if he can't add up those numbers in a few seconds, your pilot may have bigger problems. Not to mention the fact that those huge rolls are not at all the norm, unless you are at the very end of a long campaign and your characters have specs at 10-15d.

The only character I've played was a Coynite pilot, and I did occasionally roll a bunch of dice. It never slowed the game down at all.

In my experience, SWD20 incentivized players to come up with tactical positioning to take advantage of things like flanking opportunities, and so battlemats actually tended to be required. WEG combat always was more fluid in my tables. I only DMed one SWD20 campaign in all those years, and the group unanimously decided to go back to WEG.

Zardnaar

Legend

Ah. We didn't find a need for battl upemats for our d20 Star Wars. So, between the two system, actual speed of resolution became the controlling factor.

I was really stingy with force points. Often that starting one is your only one.

There's also rules in D6 capping the D6s at 5D 6D is 5D+3, 7D becomes 5D+7. The d20 system is a lot quicker with the basic roll but you get heavy class, feat, powers on top of that.

. D6 does break down a bit with skilled characters but d20 also breaks down at higher level pick your poison. I like both usually go with d20 SWSE but we're looking at a few games of D6 over the holidays.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
Speed of resolution is a feature? I guess that's true if the process of resolution itself is less interesting or engaging than the getting the actual results. Maybe that is why I find the narrative dice system (FFG) so much more appealing nowadays that it has greatly diminished my enthusiasm for the old binary resolution and numeric-based systems. With respect.

I can also see how someone who places greater value on the speed of resolution might also find a system like this to be less appealing without understanding how a more collaborative and thoughtful process for discovering a resolution is actually a major feature of the game itself. But that is the key difference between a story or narrative driven game and a skill level or combat driven one. As always, it's a matter of personal choice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases