What's Your Favorite System for Star Wars

JeffB

Legend
While I agree that FFGs making you shell out money for three whole books for what is pretty much "PHB split into sellable chunks" is stupid/money greed, I look at it this way.

If your story focuses STRICTLY on the Rebel Alliance, all ya need is the Age of the Rebellion books. If your strictly using Bounty Hunters, use Edge of The Empire. Clone Wars would be Force and Destiny+the appropriate Clone Wars books.

Basically the split book approach allows ya to focus on certain aspects of Star Wars you want or like. If ya want all aspects of The Saga, then yes the price is high.

This is a great point. And one I agree with.

Since I don't run "Jedi Games" I don't need (or want) anything from F&D. I can get by with AoR and EotE for everything I would ever want to do in a Star Wars game. And I can use that money from F&D to pick up some adventure resources/supplements and more fun dice!

FWIW I ran a whole campaign just using the AoR beginner box and the free adventure downloads/resources out there. Only cracked the AoR hardcover book for the adventure in it. Of course we used the pre-gens (even then, there are enough pre-gens out there on the intarwebz to satisfy most anyone as far as variety- and FFG is also easy to re-skin)

Weiley31

Legend
This is a great point. And one I agree with.

Since I don't run "Jedi Games" I don't need (or want) anything from F&D. I can get by with AoR and EotE for everything I would ever want to do in a Star Wars game. And I can use that money from F&D to pick up some adventure resources/supplements and more fun dice!

FWIW I ran a whole campaign just using the AoR beginner box and the free adventure downloads/resources out there. Only cracked the AoR hardcover book for the adventure in it. Of course we used the pre-gens (even then, there are enough pre-gens out there on the intarwebz to satisfy most anyone as far as variety- and FFG is also easy to re-skin)

The only fault I find in my logic is how one goes about with the bad guys in each of the books. If each book has their own "Monster Manuel" built in, then groovy. Havent tried FFG Star Wars RPG yet, but I TOTALLY want to play an IG Series Droid Bounty Hunter who is named Scarecrow.

Oh forgot to mention, if your a Jedi, you also want the book that has the Jedi Shadow class in it as that book as the rules for customizing your own lightsaber. But if you don't play as Jedi, then yeah my thoughts still stand.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I’ve played the old West End Games version and the Saga Edition. Both of those were fun, but definitely played differently. I remember Saga started to get a bit crazy with the splat book options.

Speaking as someone who's played WEG, Saga Edition and Edge of the Empire...

Scum and Villainy (the Blades in the Dark-derived space opera game). WEG a close second.

I like the simplicity of using d6s, and I like the core mechanics of both.

I think if I was going to run a Star Wars game, I’d use Scum and Villainy. The system is solid, and allows for some narrative freedom for the players which I think suits the setting.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Happy to see so many people mentioning Saga Edition, and I vote for that as well. I was under the impression that it was kind of the "forgotten" Star Wars game, since it's neither the New Hotness nor the Old School Favorite. It certainly doesn't show up at cons much, alas.

And for those who say that it's imbalanced toward Jedi, it's fine as long as you don't allow Skill Focus: Use the Force at low levels. That's what really skews the rolls.

Mallus

Legend
I’ve never actually played a Star Wars RPG, despite owning the Saga edition core book. But because of The Mandalorian (and the start of a remedial Clone Wars binge), I’m also hearing the siren song of a campaign set a long time ago, etc.

But I kinda want to use a PbtA hack to do it - know of any good ones? Or maybe Fiasco, which is where all our games wind up eventuall.

aramis erak

Legend
In re the three cores for FFG....
when one actually looks into the content of the non-core mechanical material, the overlap is well under 50%.
That includes the opponents, the vehicles, the weapons, the creatures, and the races.
The classes have zero overlap, but the specialties have around 1/3 overlap between Edge and Age. (Class gives some starting skills, and in the case of the F&D ones, gives a rank of Force, with that rank's commensurate white die on force checks. Note that no additional classes are added in splatbooks prior to spring 2019). Now, the force powers in Age and Edge cores only have 30% overlap with each other, but those 5 are 5 of the 11 in the F&D core

The splatbooks do have more overlap... typically one specialty table and 1 of the races is in another line's core or splats. Very few vehicles have overlap, but there are many parallel ships/vehicles in the same roles....
... and a number differ only in trivial ways. The various YT SLF's are all pretty similar.

I will note that during the public beta, a number of us asked for a vehicle scale separate from the ship scale — much as WEG had in WEG 2E — but we were basically ignored. The result? ground vehicles are hard to differentiate.

That is, without a doubt, my biggest gripe with the system. The 20% identical content of the corebooks? I have no issue, because the rest is in fact tailored to the specific subsetting.

And... The Squad rules and the squadron rules work reasonably well. The minion rules are particularly good for the genre. The force rules feel a really good fit to the Clone Wars cartoons, and encompass those and the prequel trilogy, but not so good for the OT - but the choices in Edge and Age, they are subtle enough for most of the OT and its commensurate EU materials.

practicalm

Explorer
I like the GURPS stuff I've seen for the Star Wars universe but I think the WEG RPG versions are the best.

Unless you want to break out Space Opera. How's that for barely playable.

Coruscant has always held a particular fascination for me. The reason has to do with one statistic: its population of one trillion people. The first Star Wars came out five years after the release of an influential book called The Limits to Growth (1972), which tried to estimate the human carrying capacity of Earth. At the time, the population of Earth was around 3.8 billion people. In 2017, 45 years later, we are at nearly double that number, and the world is still either on the brink of collapse or doing just fine, depending on who you ask.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Coruscant has always held a particular fascination for me. The reason has to do with one statistic: its population of one trillion people. The first Star Wars came out five years after the release of an influential book called The Limits to Growth (1972), which tried to estimate the human carrying capacity of Earth. At the time, the population of Earth was around 3.8 billion people. In 2017, 45 years later, we are at nearly double that number, and the world is still either on the brink of collapse or doing just fine, depending on who you ask.
Considering we have enough food to feed more ppl than are currently livin, but we waste so much that folks are starvin...yeah I’d say both.

Remove ads