What's Your Favorite System for Star Wars

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
By far, my favorite system for Star Wars is the WEG 1e. But I must admit that it is probably because I got it for my birthday when it was just published and I have some serious nostalgia going on.

I did really like playing the FFG system with @Jacob Lewis . It's a fine replacement and I can see where if the GM is conversant with the system that it could really sing.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Coruscant has always held a particular fascination for me. The reason has to do with one statistic: its population of one trillion people. The first Star Wars came out five years after the release of an influential book called The Limits to Growth (1972), which tried to estimate the human carrying capacity of Earth. At the time, the population of Earth was around 3.8 billion people. In 2017, 45 years later, we are at nearly double that number, and the world is still either on the brink of collapse or doing just fine, depending on who you ask.
As far as I know, the planet is dependent on constant food imports.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I'm going to throw something crazy out there:

Troika! would be a suitable system for a rules light version of star wars. You would need to create new backgrounds (a bit of work but not hard), force powers (very easy imo) and starship combat rules (the only real challenge imo) and voila!

aramis erak

Legend
What is there to recommend WEG d6 1e over newer editions like the free 2e REUP?

ignoring reup as it's pure IP theft...

There are essentially 5 official WEG subeditions 3 for 1E, 2 for 2E...
  1. 1E core only
  2. 1E + rules upgrade (changes hyperspace, alters defensive actions)
  3. 1E + Rules Companion (further alters defensive actions, allows haste actions to move your first action to the 0th action or -1st action rounds... also introduces limited selection of force powers by what your force skills are. Adds die-capping by scale.
  4. 2E core changes further the defenses, adds a movement attribute, adds an initiative roll. changes the way die-capping works. Scale is table based. Command and many-on-one table based.
  5. 2E Revised & Expanded: scaling now dice bonus, rather than dice capping. Adds an extra damage step (wounded has two boxes),
  6. d6 Space is a clear case of "was going to be 3E until we lost the license) - adding advantages and disadvantages, tweaking the initiative and the defensive actions a bit more.

2E has a more traditional initiative system; 1E doesn't.
2E has way more craft detailed, and 6 distinct scales; 1E has 2 in core.
2E has a huge raft of craft written up; 1E doesn't.
2E has the wild die, 1E doesn't.
2E limits how many force abilities one can use; 1E doesn't until the Rules Companion (and that uses the same limits as 2E.

The biggest difference is initiative.
Start of round, everyone is supposed to declare actions (not, of need, targets)...
Then, everyone rolls their first action, noting the penalty to all actions for the number of declared actions. These are not resolved simultaneously; highest goes first.
If anyone has second actions (very common), those get resolved in a second pass, reduced further if reactions took place to 1st actions.
If there are third actions (uncommon), a third resolution pass. Same for 4th, 5th, or even all the way to 10th to 12th, etc. (I've had a player with 7d in blaster pop a force point to stun out a squad or 8 stormtroopers... and shoot them all for 5 dice - he intentionally stayed in cover for first action.)
When all declared actions have been resolved, return to declaring actions.

The second biggest difference is scales.
1E has two scales in core, and no change in the rules upgrade.
Rules Companion adds 4 more, for the standard 6 of 2E... but dice over cap are read as 0.

Each subedition handles defense actions differently. Without digging into the books, I can't recall which does which.

I think that's what Scum & Villainy is - a variant of BitD, which is itself a PtbA variant.
Although it's descended from PbtA, it's about as different as Call of Cthulhu is from its forefather D&D. It's still good, but it's a very different system.

If you want something recognizably Powered by the Apocalypse, maybe try the one JeffB recommended:

I am a big fan of the WEG d6 Star Wars game. As a youth, I had a lot of hours of fun gaming with that system. It comes in a pretty close third, behind Star Wars Saga Edition, which I liked so much that I changed everything about it to make Space Saga, my own space fantasy heartbreaker.

BronzeDragon

Explorer
WEG in any of its incarnations.

It's the best system for a true Star Wars feel. SWD20, for example, is a good system, it just never actually feels like Star Wars. It slows down for combat and that is antithetical to SW.

I haven't played FFG yet, but I don't think it can do anything better than WEG.

Remove ads