Level Up (A5E) What's your favorite thing about Level Up?

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
Yes. This is why we need more heritages. No game I've been in for many years has only had character races from the PH.
Oh, don't worry. More are coming. The Zeitgeist book has several advertised, and the small team of us working on the big third-party player-facing supplement have a whole bunch of new heritages planned, too. New cultures, backgrounds, and destinies as well!

Last edited:

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Well you can mix and match the heritages so you technically could have 8 x 9 (72) more mixed heritages. Seems a lot to me!
Not really what I mean. I'm not looking for mix and match heritages. I'd like something to approximate in A5e characters that can be played in O5e. Of course you can use O5e races for that, but Level Up's objectively better character generation deserves to used for all characters, not just those using a race out of the old PH.

Vexxmyst

Villager
Not really what I mean. I'm not looking for mix and match heritages. I'd like something to approximate in A5e characters that can be played in O5e. Of course you can use O5e races for that, but Level Up's objectively better character generation deserves to used for all characters, not just those using a race out of the old PH.
Yeah, I was personally hoping to come across genasi planetouched options on my first read.

Rant

Explorer
The monsters seem better so far, I haven’t encountered any drawbacks to using Menagerie monsters in place of the MM so far, and a few notable improvements.

Sceadugenga

Villager
Easily the synergy feat trees. They offer such a great way to capture the stages of putting two classes together, first by mastering each and then by combining what you've previously thought you mastered, and they're cinematic. I have a bard/warlock tree already written and waiting for the Gazette to launch lol

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
I know this is a terrible answer for me but I gotta be honest: magic item prices. Nothing drove me up the wall with O5E more than weighing out how much gold for this or that, and the most available resource to help was welcome assistance but very dubious.

Honorable mentions for the Raiment of the Devouring King and the God Corpse exploration challenge.

So far, I have to say the Equipment section. There's so much more for the PCs to spend money on, so much depth and possibilities available to actually build a world that has any kind of economy and sense. It's one of the aspects of 5e that really felt lucklaster to me (including the lack of proper prices for magic items, etc).
Plus: vehicles, strongholds, pets, materials, customizations, alchemical supplies and herbs, etc.
I just love this stuff. It could be dropped in any 5e game and it would make it instantly better and more interesting, even without taking anything else from a5e.

Remove ads