• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's your favourite version or variation of D&D?

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
4E.

Reasons:

1. Monster & NPC building rules. I can create monsters and NPCs that mechanically reflect their flavour text for the first time since D&D was invented, and be assured that it is an adequate challenge for its level, without it taking forever.
2. The online tools are just so useful. Whether it's finding stuff with the Compendium, creating characters with the Character Builder or (point 1) building monsters and NPCs with Adventure Tools, I just can't imagine going back to a more paper-based system.
3. Finally I have a version of D&D that is cinematic. It's supremely visual and my players and I love that.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
4e.....but its a close call. Note that I would distingiush 3.0 from other 3e and holmes basic from moldvay. (And i like 3.0 better then 3.5 and think moldvay is a great version as well).

JeffB

Legend
Moldvay/Cook/Marsh (not BECMI)

4E Essentials

Swords & Wizardry (any version), as it is most tolerant of customization, and easiest to work with.

I like all 3, and each is better in some ways than others.

IOW not able to pick a clear winner.

Aenghus

Explorer
4e, because I find it less work to run than previous editions, and non-spellcasters are more viable. While I personally don't feel the appeal of essentials classes, I've had players who prefer less complex PCs and the essentials material gives them options.

(I've played basic, 1st ed, 2nd ed, 3.0, 3.5, and 4th ed D&D, as well as lots of other RPGs)

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
While I love playing and running 4e, I feel longing for simpler games grow.

I had considered giving 1e a shot, but don't feel inspired by its unsystematic approach and the Gygaxian prose. The sporadic game of 2e I have started with my children and their friends feels so good that I now select:

2e

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads