D&D 5E What's your ideal product release schedule over the next few years?

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
What I would like to see for 2021 to 2025:

Neverwinter: Into the Feywild. Forgotten Realms-to-Feywild adventure. Endgame big bad is a balor demon who leads a clan of fomorians.

Fizban’s (Poorly) Assorted Notes. Resource book with new monsters and the updated dragonborn race. In-book commentary by Fizban suggesting that Gnosh is the poor tinker gnome who has been given the task of getting them into some resemblance of order.

The Wanderer’s Guide to Athas. Dark Sun 5e campaign guide.

Lantan: March of the Modrons. Forgotten Realms-to-Planescape module anthology. Each module is set in a different outer plane.

Cormyr: They came from Wildspace! Forgotten Realms adventure based in Cormyr. Knights in shining armor versus neogi (alien snake-spiders).
Endgame takes place on a neogi battleship hiding among those asteroids orbiting Toril.

Mystara Player’s Guide. Glen Welch’s Mystara 5e book.

2023 - things start getting crazy...
Rock of Bral: Realmspace. Spelljammer anthology with two adventures for each of the other planets in Realmspace (one low-level, the other high-level).
From here on out, we leave the Forgotten Realms behind.

Tyr: Sand and Blood. Dark Sun adventure based in the lands around the Free City of Tyr, specifically the Ringing Mountains and the Great Alluvial Sand Wastes.
Endgame big bad is a powerful noble family from Urik who want to impress King Hamanu by using their personal army to conquer either the town of Kled or Altaruk.

Zendikar: the Living Planet. Magic-to-D&D campaign guide.

• Revised Player’s Handbook.
  • Revised Monster Manual.
  • Revised DM’s Guide.

Athasian Chronicles. Dark Sun module anthology based in the Tyr Region.
Final module involves exploring the ruins of Guistenal.

Karameikos: The Forgotten Empire. Mystaran adventure. Think Rise of the Runelords but without all the gross parts, Egyptian-themed monsters instead of giants, and a Nithian mummy lord instead of a Thassilonian archwizard.

Roil Expeditions. Zendikar module anthology.

Athas: Empire of Chitin. Dark Sun adventure. The J’hol-Kreen have moved into the Tyr Region. Destroy their war machines, drive off their insect monsters, kill their leaders, and save the day. All while disrupting the Sorcerer-Kings’ plans to take advantage of the chaos.

Darokin: Chaos Returns. Mystara adventure. Parts of Darokin keep turning into a quasi-nuclear post apocalyptic landscape, only to revert back to normal after a few days!
Mutant-megafauna riding cavemen, flamethrower and harpoon gun-wielding ratfolk, sorcerous cockroach monsters, and robotic creatures rampage across the land.
Endgame big bads are the Oard, time traveling cyborgs from a possible future.

Last edited:

The current schedule seems dope
Three products by Wizards and one by outsiders seems like more than enough. A winter-spring reprint or wildcard adventure, a summer storyline adventure, a fall splatbook, and a miscellaneous product in the spring-summer by freelancers or an outside studio. Like the ACQUISITIONS INCORPORATED book or a Magic CCG setting book or WILDEMOUNT
More than that seems unnecessary

Hell, even with just four books I only bought one the last couple years. My shelf is pretty full. They could lose one of the adventures and the bonus fourth book and I wouldn't notice

Mercurius

Legend
What I would like to see for 2021 to 2025:

Neverwinter: Into the Feywild. Forgotten Realms-to-Feywild adventure. Endgame big bad is a balor demon who leads a clan of fomorians.

Fizban’s (Poorly) Assorted Notes. Resource book with new monsters and the updated dragonborn race. In-book commentary by Fizban suggesting that Gnosh is the poor tinker gnome who has been given the task of getting them into some resemblance of order.

The Wanderer’s Guide to Athas. Dark Sun 5e campaign guide.

Lantan: March of the Modrons. Forgotten Realms-to-Planescape module anthology. Each module is set in a different outer plane.

Cormyr: They came from Wildspace! Forgotten Realms adventure based in Cormyr. Knights in shining armor versus neogi (alien snake-spiders).
Endgame takes place on a neogi battleship hiding among those asteroids orbiting Toril.

Mystara Player’s Guide. Glen Welch’s Mystara 5e book.

2023 - things start getting crazy...
Rock of Bral: Realmspace. Spelljammer anthology with two adventures for each of the other planets in Realmspace (one low-level, the other high-level).
From here on out, we leave the Forgotten Realms behind.

Tyr: Sand and Blood. Dark Sun adventure based in the lands around the Free City of Tyr, specifically the Ringing Mountains and the Great Alluvial Sand Wastes.
Endgame big bad is a powerful noble family from Urik who want to impress King Hamanu by using their personal army to conquer either the town of Kled or Altaruk.

Zendikar: the Living Planet. Magic-to-D&D campaign guide.

• Revised Player’s Handbook.
  • Revised Monster Manual.
  • Revised DM’s Guide.

Athasian Chronicles. Dark Sun module anthology based in the Tyr Region.
Final module involves exploring the ruins of Guistenal.

Karameikos: The Forgotten Empire. Mystaran adventure. Think Rise of the Runelords but without all the gross parts, Egyptian-themed monsters instead of giants, and a Nithian mummy lord instead of a Thassilonian archwizard.

Roil Expeditions. Zendikar module anthology.

Athas: Empire of Chitin. Dark Sun adventure. The J’hol-Kreen have moved into the Tyr Region. Destroy their war machines, drive off their insect monsters, kill their leaders, and save the day. All while disrupting the Sorcerer-Kings’ plans to take advantage of the chaos.

Darokin: Chaos Returns. Mystara adventure. Parts of Darokin keep turning into a quasi-nuclear post apocalyptic landscape, only to revert back to normal after a few days!
Mutant-megafauna riding cavemen, flamethrower and harpoon gun-wielding ratfolk, sorcerous cockroach monsters, and robotic creatures rampage across the land.
Endgame big bads are the Oard, time traveling cyborgs from a possible future.
Can you please get a job at WotC?

Some really great ideas in this thread - I hope someone at WotC is reading.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Or a Fomorian who has ripped out their own eye and replaced it with the eye of a balor! They’ve then grown a crown of demonic horn, and terrible destructive power from their eye!

This year, I want another monster book, and ideally another 'of Everything' book, though I don't hold up much hope for the latter until 2022 at least. I'd like the trend of one big adventure a year to continue, though if they're going to start releasing new settings I hope they branch out from FR a bit from time to time. If they're going to 5 releases a year, then they could even stand to put out two adventures some years, one FR and one not.

In the longer term, I'm a massive massive Dark Sun fan and I want that done, but I don't want it done for a couple of years yet, because it's better done later in the edition's life cycle once they're more comfortable experimenting and breaking their own guidelines. Once they do it though, i want a level 1-20 mega-adventure that takes PCs all the way from Free Tyr to taking on Rajaat with a variety of possible endings and destinies, do the Prism Pentad again with the PCs as heroes this time around. Planescape would be a good next setting after Ravenloft, because planar stuff is useful in a variety of games. I want them to redo the SCAG into a proper full-sized setting book that covers all of the Realms rather than just the most boring slice in the top corner. And I want a completely new setting. Do something that's never remotely been done before, all from scratch like Eberron was in 3e. Swing for the fences and make it unique.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Can you please get a job at WotC?

Some really great ideas in this thread - I hope someone at WotC is reading.

No one at WotC comes around here... and even if they did, they might use this as evidence of what not to do. The biggest D&D player segments now skews a lot younger than the average poster here.

That's not a knock against EnWorld, or WotC. Just reality.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
No one at WotC comes around here... and even if they did, they might use this as evidence of what not to do... That's not a knock against EnWorld, or WotC. Just reality.

That’s perfectly okay. I’m on the autistic spectrum and I know I like different things compared to what the majority would prefer.

Of the three guys in my group who DM, I’m the one who always wanders outside the quasi-historical tolkienesque and gothic horror genres that the other two DMs tend to stick with.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
That’s perfectly okay. I’m on the autistic spectrum and I know I like different things compared to what the majority would prefer.

Of the three guys in my group who DM, I’m the one who always wanders outside the quasi-historical tolkienesque and gothic horror genres that the other two DMs tend to stick with.
I also have ASD, so I know somewhat of what you're talking about. I tried DMing a Tolkien-esque campaign once, and decided that it wasn't for me. My favorite campaign that I've run was a highly-personalized Spelljammer campaign that leaned into the weirdness of the setting a ton.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
One book per year at most. Ideally none. If the designers want 5E to be evergreen, as they originally promised, then they need to stop publishing books. Leave it to the community to design new content.

Every published book brings 5E closer to its death.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
One book per year at most. Ideally none. If the designers want 5E to be evergreen, as they originally promised, then they need to stop publishing books. Leave it to the community to design new content.

Every published book brings 5E closer to its death.
But it also makes D&D more prosperous. Editions die eventually, and the hobby as a whole will die if there is practically no official content added to the game. I'm not saying we should rush towards 6e, we should certainly take our time (which WotC currently is doing), but we also need to be prepared for when 5e stops making money and needs to be replaced by a new edition.

Remove ads