• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's Your "Sweet Spot" for a Skill system?

Dausuul

Legend
What I want most out of a skill system is less use of dice and more "just do it."

If you are an accomplished thief, there should be no question about whether you can pick an ordinary lock. You just do it. If you're a healer, you shouldn't ever fail to splint a simple clean fracture. The dice should be reserved for challenges that an untrained person couldn't even attempt.

What I want most out of a skill system is less use of dice and more "just do it."

If you are an accomplished thief, there should be no question about whether you can pick an ordinary lock. You just do it. If you're a healer, you shouldn't ever fail to splint a simple clean fracture. The dice should be reserved for challenges that an untrained person couldn't even attempt.
So you could never miss a shot with a firearm you've trained on, or have an accident in a car you've been driving for years?

Life does not work like that.

Staffan

Legend

I remember that in one of the D&D Next blogs, back when Monte Cook was still attached to the project, he wrote about wanting something like that for the skill system. I don't recall the specifics, but basically that you could have different proficiency levels in skills. If your proficiency was equal to the task's difficulty, you'd automatically succeed, but otherwise you'd have to roll for your ability score. Might also have been something about automatic failure on tasks that are too difficult.

Dausuul

Legend
So you could never miss a shot with a firearm you've trained on, or have an accident in a car you've been driving for years?
In a dice-based system, you can't represent probabilities smaller than the grain of the dice. In a d20 system, for instance, there is no way to model a failure chance lower than 5%. You have to round up to 5% or down to 0%. In a percentile system, you can get down to 1%. Anything below that, again, must be rounded either up or down.

Let's say you drive to work and back each day (two trips), 5 days a week, 50 weeks out of the year. That's 500 trips, not even considering groceries, vacations, etc. If you have a 1% chance of an accident per trip, that comes to 5 accidents per year. I'd hate to see your insurance premiums.

So the choices are:

1. Design the skill mechanic with a grain so fine that it can represent these extremely low-probability events.
2. Make everybody phenomenally incompetent at basic tasks.
3. Not bother to model failures that, by definition, are very unlikely to happen in play.

In a dice-based system, you can't represent probabilities smaller than the grain of the dice. In a d20 system, for instance, there is no way to model a failure chance lower than 5%. You have to round up to 5% or down to 0%. In a percentile system, you can get down to 1%. Anything below that, again, must be rounded either up or down.

Let's say you drive to work and back twice a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks out of the year. That's 500 trips, not even considering groceries, vacations, etc. If you have a 1% chance of an accident per trip, that comes to 5 accidents per year. I'd hate to see your insurance premiums.

So the choices are:

1. Design the skill mechanic with a grain so fine that it can represent these extremely low-probability events.
3. Not bother to model failures that, by definition, are very unlikely to happen in play.
There a huge difference between driving to work on a normal day, and driving through a combat zone.

If your campaign features things like driving to work five days a week, sure, you don't need a dice roll. Or players.

But most campaigns (all, that I have run), do not function in a 9-5 work environment.

Nor does a failed roll have to mean an accident. You can have a vehicle breakdown, an encounter of some sort, ora fuel-consuming detour, to throw out three. As a GM, you are allowed to insert creativity into the game.

Pedantic

Legend
So the choices are:

I think that second point is usually where people get hung up. You get into this loop where you want to make people roll, because rolling to see if a thing happens feels like the "game" itself, but they don't want rolling to occur if it doesn't entail some risk. Combine that with the general human blindness toward iterative probability (and also basic probability, where we over index anything over 50%) and you end up with generalized incompetence.

The usual counter advice is "don't roll if it doesn't matter" but I think that's actually quite difficult for many people to put into play. The basic loop of the game is rolling to see what happens next, not determining the game state in response to the player's actions. That's why I think you should really mechanically mediate when to roll/not roll. Take 10/20 are a good way to do it, dicepools that let you buy successes with X dice, and so on combined with specified results at specific success thresholds make it very clear what PCs can do without incurring risk.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
To me... skills (and indeed all mechanics) are just randomizers for the response of 'Yes, And' in the improvisation that is roleplaying.

You as a player improvise a response to something the GM states in-game. The result of that improvisation is never going to be the same, so we need a way to vary up that result. Game mechanics (like rolling skills) give us a baseline of possible results-- Yes, we succeed 100%; No, we fail 100%; Yes, we succeed but not completely-- something else happens that give us a slight stumbling block; No, we fail but not completely-- something else happens that give us a slight benefit. And any other kinds of responses the mechanical system wishes to throw in.

So the precise way of acquiring those results does not REALLY matter-- it could just be as simple as flipping a coin if we wanted, and then we'd improvise what happens to us after that result got revealed. But because just flipping a coin can get boring after a while... game designers always try to create interesting randomization games for us to use instead. And whether the system works or not depends on just how much fun that randomization game is to use and play. Whether it's dice, or cards, or spinners, or Jenga towers, or any other "game mechanic" the RPG uses... the more fun the game is, the more compelling it is for us to use it, and the more creative we get when we acquire our results out of it. And the bad systems are ones that don't trigger our imaginations and our feelings of "fun". You could have the more involved and precise system designed in the world to represent everything that could come into affect as the result of our improv decision... but if that system just isn't fun to use, then it ends up being pointless.

So I don't care how many Skills a system has per se... I care about what my imagination needs to get inspired by the result of the randomization game that gives it to me. If the system uses only Abilities and not Skills but the game is still fun, that's great! Or the system is only Skills and does not have Abilities and the game is still fun, that's great too! Or a combination of both, or Abilities and Skills and Specializations within Skills and Features outside of Abilities and Skills all working in concert to make the dice game fun and dramatic and compelling to play... I'll take any of them.

Pedantic

Legend
To me... skills (and indeed all mechanics) are just randomizers for the response of 'Yes, And' in the improvisation that is roleplaying.

You as a player improvise a response to something the GM states in-game. The result of that improvisation is never going to be the same, so we need a way to vary up that result. Game mechanics (like rolling skills) give us a baseline of possible results-- Yes, we succeed 100%; No, we fail 100%; Yes, we succeed but not completely-- something else happens that give us a slight stumbling block; No, we fail but not completely-- something else happens that give us a slight benefit. And any other kinds of responses the mechanical system wishes to throw in.

I know this is a an established line in TTRPG play, but I hate this and wish it would stop. I'm not here to play "improv game-" I'm here to play "board game+." I want actual rules for the things I'm doing, and I want to use those rules to achieve specific desired outcomes. If you don't need rules, you shouldn't write any, and if you're going to write rules, they should be better than improv prompts. You could just do improv of that was the goal, and write rules designed to prompt that instead of playing a game.

kenada

Legend
Supporter
The skill system in my homebrew system has gone through a few (more like many) revisions. I originally started with the skill list and mechanic from Worlds Without Number before paring it down considerable and then fleshing it back out.

Paring down the skill list seemed really appealing. Characters would have the minimal skills needed to be adventurers, and the remainder of their skills would come from an open-ended list where you could buy “skill specialities” for a narrow area. You might have (basic) survival skills, but you would need the speciality to track or do other non-basic things. This ended up being too confusing conceptually. Even I would mess up which skill to use from time to time.

I currently use a list of twenty two skills. I need to do a review of the social skills, so that may change a little bit, but I feel pretty good about the final skill list. Weapon skills are now also separate, and even armor is integrated as proficiencies (effectively, but they cost less EXP to buy). Unlike the previous way of doing things, this list is fixed. Specialities still exist, but they serve a different roll in the game. The hope is this will make determining the right skill easier to use for everyone.

Skill Checks are made using skill + attribute. The attribute is the approach you’re using. Are you using force (Strength), agility (Dexterity), smarts (Intellect), past experiences (Wisdom), fortitude either physical (Endurance) or mental (Willpower)? That’s the attribute. The skill is the method you’re using. Forcing open a chest with a prybar would be Burglary + Strength while fiddling with the lock might be Burglary + Dexterity or even Burglary + Wisdom with the right experience (“These are standard locks used on chests like this, which I’ve seen before.”). The choice of approach and method is left to the players, though they should change one or both if the table feels a suggested method + approach is not appropriate for the situation.

Wisdom is a bit of a special attribute because rather than represent something like intuition, it is your actual wisdom from past experiences. You get a fixed number of these at character creation (your background is one, then you decide two more). More can be obtained via longterm projects. Aside from working with the Wisdom attribute this way, experiences are also used for a handful of skills (Crafting, Performance, Rituals) to determine how those skills can be used.

I should also note that there is no “Perception” skill. Things like sneaking or surprise work through other mechanisms. I don’t really care for the loop where the stuff to do in the room is hidden behind a skill check I request as soon as they enter the room. I don’t think take 10 or passive checks are a good solution for this. I’d rather just describe the situation and let the PCs interact with it. When they want to learn more, they can use the Investigation (encounter) and Research (long term) skills.

Dices mechanics have varied considerably. As noted above, I started out using 2d6 from Worlds Without Number. The skill system in those games is inspired by Traveller. I wanted to use a fixed target difficulty and eventually degrees of success, so I have tried several different rolling methods to accommodate the range of modifiers in my game (2d6 → 3d6 → 2d6 → 2d10 → ??). That question mark is where I am at currently.

One problem I have encountered with degrees of success is the perception by one of my players that “mixed success” means he failed. Even though his character does what he wanted, the fact that something else happens feels bad. To address this dissonance, I’m considering a mechanic I am calling “dual rolls” for our next session. With dual rolls, instead of his rolling alone, I would simultaneously make a roll for the consequence. Based on the combination of rolls, this determines the result.

The idea is decoupling the consequence should make it feel better to players like the one in my group. As part of the system’s design, I don’t want to decide what happens. I’m only supposed to do that when the system requests it (part of my attempting to be a neutral referee by keeping my hands off the till). The consequence is my space for doing that, and for doing that as hard as the situation merits. It should be thought of as something akin to a wandering monsters check except systemic.

I’ve done some looking at the math and done one mock combat so far. I’d like to also mock out some of the conflicts I’ve described in the commentary thread (particularly this one and this one). The combat went okay. It’s a little more dangerous because the target rolls one of dodge, block, or parry. I’m currently using 1d20+mods versus 11 or 21 (for a Critical Success). This means success is “easy”, but it’s not always going to be consequence-free.

In the mock combat, Dingo took a bit more damage than he did in the actual session (due to some bad dice luck where both he and Deirdre whiffed). One thing I did like is it makes it possible for even those with crappy values to have some success attacking and defending. Trying to balance a progression of modifiers without instituting a difficulty threadmill has been challenging. Dual rolls obviates that. You can do some fiddling with the opponent’s roll (Deirdre’s Unbalance speciality was applied to the target’s next dodge), but they’ll typically get to make their roll.

As an aside, I’m not aware of many games that use this approach. @pemerton has brought Pendragon’s opposed rolls to my attention, which has been the closest. Most games that use opposed rolls compare the results. My approach does not. That’s how it can generate the different degrees of success and how consequences are still possible even when you’re very likely to get what you want. Otherwise, the system breaks down when actions never have consequences (and needing to determine the consequence roll becomes an easy and visible test of whether anything is at stake).

Update: After doing some more testing and consultation with the player who had issues with the 2d10 method, we’re actually going to stick with the current method. The “dual rolls” method has some edge cases relating to things like spells that would result in quite a bit of upheaval in the way I’ve designed specialities and spells. I can do some things to better signal what consequences are coming, and I need to better tune the monster numbers. The rest of this post should still be applicable.
I saw I got an XP on this post, so I thought I’d follow up. The current state of things is I’m looking at 2d6 again, which means I’m going to need to look at some method for using non-fixed target numbers if I want to use more than a tiny range of modifiers (which I do). I’m thinking a base difficulty that is modified by factors such as scale, quality, and complications. The important thing is it’s not just my whim that determines the final number, which helps players reason about the game while also helping keep the numbers grounded in the game world.

Remove ads