• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When a warrior stands at the wrong end of a crossbow...

I am not sure this would cause that much difference in play. I also think this is a mechanic that is sorely missing from the game..

In order to get this process to work you have to gain surprise.
.. Then you have to be first in the initiative ..
.. If you opponent does not have Uncanny Dodge ..
.. And you have a piercing weapon ..
Then you can declare an 'Ambuscade' {new nifty name for the effect}

Slightly revised:
Action: 'Ambuscade'
You ready an action to attack a target who is suprised and denied Dex. The normal combat sequence pauses, allowing for diplomancy or other non-lethal means to end the encounter. Your critical range for the attack is increased by your level or HD, whichever is higher. If struck the target must make a Fort save vs the damage taken. Failure drops the character to -1 hps. {assuming the normal damage taken does not go further than this}
- Limitations: This action can only be taken when weilding a Piercing melee weapon that threatens the target or a Piercing ranged weapons at a range no greater then 30'.

An opponent may attempt to bypass your Ambuscade with a Bluff check vs your Sense Motive check.
- If successful, that opponent may take a standard action before your readied action triggers. Another opponent may attempt a follow-up bypass. You gain a +5 bonus to Sense Motive for each successful bypass. An opponent may only bypass your ambuscade once.
- If the attempt fails, the ready action is triggered.

I think this gives a player a reasonable mechanic to the ever popular hostage situation..on both sides of the fence. There is a chance for a save-or-die, but there are also some ways out of it. It also makes sneaking up a viable option.

drexes

First Post
I like this except for the piercing only part after all I could sneak up behind you and put my scimitar to your throat in order to slash or slit your throat.... but I really like the mechanic. Good Job PS.

Drexes

Sravoff

First Post
airwalkrr that first draft looks pretty good.

Not sure if I am gonna go with dramatic HP or the coup de grace varient, but they both look good.

Weapons would haev to be verified on a case by case basis. A scimitar to the neck would work, while a warhammer sittign on ones head doesn't quite feel right.

I can see that as being pretty much wrapped up for my needs. If you all want to continue and hammer out ideas for your own campaighs be my guest. :)

Thanks alot for the help!
-Sravoff

librarius_arcana

First Post
airwalkrr said:
Although it is not perfect, I have a suggestion for dealing with the situation. In any case where an opponent has the drop on a character and readies an action to fire a crossbow at said character if he makes any sudden moves, treat any hit as an automatic critical threat. If the critical threat is confirmed, then resolve the attack like a coup de grace, only you might want to lower the DC since the defender is not truly helpless. Perhaps DC 5 + damage dealt would be appropriate. Just the threat of a chance at having to roll a Fort save versus death would probably be enough to divert most PCs from taking hasty action.

I was thinking something like that, but make the target make a save roll Reflex DC (?) 20 or it becomes an automatic critical threat

I agree with using a successful hit as an automatic confirmed critical. I did this throughout AD&D 1e and 2e. However a coup de grace seems a tad bit excessive. After all, it is the lower level heroes that should drop automatically while the high levels ones will incur a major wound but still continue.

With regards to making a Ref save, why bother? Just have the attacker roll to hit against a flat-footed opponent.

IceFractal

First Post
The problem with introducing a rule like this, is that people aren't the only things around, and that "10th level" doesn't just mean skilled.

For instance, a 10th level character is supposed to be the equal of a CR 10 monster like an Eleven-Headed Hydra or a Bebilith. If those things could be killed just by getting the drop with a crossbow, why would you even need adventurers? Just spend the reward money on some nice crossbows for the town guard and send them out.

And it could make things rather anticlimatic when the PCs do it:
BBEG: Cower before me, brief mortals! The Lord of the Pit has arrived!
Rogue: Guess he didn't see me. Ok, I stand up and point a crossbow at his back.
BBEG: Damn! Foiled again!
Bard: I'm going to start composing our victory song - where's my lute?

And as for examples in fiction? By D&D terms, most people are fairly low-level characters, especially in the durability department.

Land Outcast

Explorer
BBEG: Cower before me, brief mortals! The Lord of the Pit has arrived!
Rogue: Guess he didn't see me. Ok, I stand up and point a crossbow at his back.
BBEG: Hu? it itches... -pulls the bolt from his flesh- This is yours, right?
Rogue: Heh... ain't you dead?...
BBEG: Nope, now... Cower before me, brief mortals! The Lord of the Pit has arrived!

If it's extremly anticlimatic, the BBEG is aware of them (now, if they prepare DA UBER PLAN, then let them have their fun)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads