When and what game did you start with.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

1981, Dungeons & Dragons Basic Set 1 (Erol Otis cover; Tom Moldvay version). Although I did play the '77 version (the Holms version) for a single game, iirc (me and my best friend who bought it) very quickly after playing the Moldvay version for a month or so. I (we; me and my friends and father) stuck with the Moldvay version.

After that, Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Marvel Super Heroes, Gamma Word (in that order)...then Warhammer Fantasy Role-Play, Runequest (very briefly) and Warhammer 40,000 (which we thought was an RPG, because we had no clue about wargaming; we learned...and then promptly kept using it as an RPG in stead).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Dioltach

Legend
1985, Het Oog des Meesters (the Dutch translation of Das Schwarze Auge, first edition). Had brief flirts with AD&D 1e and BECMI (or at least the B in BECMI), played a bit of MERP in my second year at uni and started playing AD&D 2e regularly in my third year. When 3rd edition came out I played a bit of that, and d20 Star Wars, d20 Modern and Wheel of Time RPG with one group and 2e with another. For the past 10 years or so it's been D&D 3.5 (except a year of Het Oog des Meesters and eighteen months of boardgaming until the pandemic hit).

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
197...7? No later than '78. It was...whatever edition of D&D that was extant, but within a year or so for Christmas I got the blue boxed set. I literally jumped for joy.

The gaming scene consisted of massive nerds and nerd-friendly types, playing in basements, garages, and occasionally in back rooms of game stores. Gaming felt like a secret language. Teen egos loomed large, but things almost always worked out in the interest of the game.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I literally don't know what year I started gaming. I was little, and my older brother introduced us to Tunnels and Trolls, as something to do to with his younger siblings.

I was 12 years old, I think, when he brought the AD&D PHB and DMG home for X-mas break, and introduced us to D&D.

GuyBoy

Hero
1976. I was 13 years old and got the white box for Xmas, closely followed by Greyhawk and Blackmoor in early 1977.
Loved it then and love it now, though I’ve been through 1E, 2E, 3E and now playing 5E. Great friends and great times along the way.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
1981, as a player with D&D Holmes edition. We also played Gamma World, Toon, Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Call of Cthuluh, Melee and Wizard (which became Fantasy Trip) and Traveller.

When not playing rpgs Cosmic Encounter was our default game. We also played Car Wars, Illuminati, Ogre, StarFire and Star Fleet Battle.

I discovered rpgs at the local school wargaming club on a Saturday (or Sunday). Not sure.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Around 97 or so, 6th grade, my best friend had HeroQuest, and we played it almost as often as we LARPed in the front yard.

I only knew of D&D as video games and novels, until around 8th grade. Played 2e for a bit, first in a play by post type thing over AIM, and then in person at the library. High School did some 3.5 and Star Wars Revised Core Rules, but I didn’t like wotc’s early TTRPG efforts much. Came back to D&D with 4e.

Remove ads