When and what game did you start with.

GuyBoy

Hero
Also played and enjoyed Runequest, Gamma World in late 1970s/ early 80s, and made use of lots of Judges Guild stuff in D&D campaigns.

Getting a bit more obscure, I also got to play a short campaign in a rare system called Bifrost. It was a British rule set, quite complex but I remember it fondly, maybe due to a good DM.
Anyone else ever play it?
4DD092FF-CA1E-47F7-8442-B4FED4CF5CD8.jpeg

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Reading the other replies, I feel like the imposter.

First time I played D&D was probably in 2001 or 2002. Played one session of 2nd edition with a teacher. I didn't understand much. And a few weeks later a friend got the 3rd edition Player's Handbook and we started short 3rd edition campaign with that teacher.

GuyBoy

Hero
Reading the other replies, I feel like the imposter.

First time I played D&D was probably in 2001 or 2002. Played one session of 2nd edition with a teacher. I didn't understand much. And a few weeks later a friend got the 3rd edition Player's Handbook and we started short 3rd edition campaign with that teacher.
You’re definitely not an imposter. Doesn’t matter where, when, how you started. Just enjoy.
We all fight owlbears......

Staffan

Legend
1985, D&D. But not that D&D, this D&D:
1629769377751.png

(Though it's usually abbreviated DoD in order to differentiate it from Dungeons & Dragons.)
The original edition of Drakar och Demoner was a straight translation of Basic Roleplaying + Magic World, but this was a somewhat later edition that had evolved in a direction of its own.

Thomas Shey

Legend
Three little beige books plus Greyhawk in 1975. Only stayed with it a few years before moving off to other things; RuneQuest and Champions probably had much more influence on me overall.

Learned at SF Cons in Southern California, and absorbed the kind wide-ranging expectations they had (probably just as well; don't think the more "traditional" approach in some other areas would have grabbed me as much).

MattW

Explorer
Traveller. The "Little Black Books", plus Books 4 and 5. 1981 or 1982. Someone at the Science Fiction Society wanted to try something that wasn't D&D...

Remove ads