D&D General When did araneas become shapechangers?

Orius

Legend
Must be Red Steel then.

The Mystara MC (1994) makes no mention of shapechanging. However, Monstrous Compendium Annual 3 (1996) does. Since Red Steel was published in late 1994 or sometime in 1995, it would have to have been introduced there.

But then if there was a BECMI source that mentioned it, it goes back earlier. In that case, my guess it was introduced in one of the Creature Catalogues either AC9 (1986), or the later RC era one from 1993. It's strange that it wasn't mentioned in the Mystara MC, since that used the Creature Catalog as a primary source.

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
20201013_222825.jpg
1996, MC Annual v3.

But I know its older, I used them in a late 80s(?) campaign in the Mistweb Forest.

Might pull out some boxes in a couple of days. Thanks for ref @Orius

The Glen

Legend
The shapechanging variety was Red Steel in 2nd ed. Its only the aranea of Herath that have the ability, its unknown in other regions like Isle of Dread or Serpent Peninsula. Specifically they used magic to gain the ability, as using magic to change entire species was their specialty. They creates the caymas and gurrash from stock lizard men, and their tampering with the wallaru was what brought down the wrath of the Great One. They are directly responsible for one of the three curses in the Red Coast.

But outside of them no other aranea in canon have the shapeshifting ability. It was only added in 2nd edition, and it didn't effect previous mentions. That's why the aranea in the Sword Coast monster manual have it, but not the normal aranea found in the creature catalogs or montrous compendium.

Dire Bare

Legend
The Mystaran shapechanging aranea predate the Red Steel boxed set by a bit, they first showed up in the Dragon Magazine series, "Voyage of the Princess Ark" in habiting the land of Herath.

At first, it was just the Herathian aranea that had the shapechanging ability . . . but now it defines the monster!

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
@TheGlen, your explanation makes an enormous amount of sense. And it makes sense that you'd know that!

My introduction to/interest in aranea started with rereading the Voyage of the Princess Ark a couple of years ago. I really like the uniqueness of the creature having two natural forms; it makes them much more complex as both antagonists and allies especially in murder mystery style games/stories.

The Glen

Legend
Bear in mind the setting has major continuity issues, and the Red Steel boxed set is rife with them. Herath loves creating new magics, a Mystaran staple, if you want the full break down on them the Red Steel monstrous compendium has the full write-up. It's free, TSR released the PDF after they killed the line before the book was released.

Remove ads