• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

When did you give up on Greyhawk?

When did you give up on Greyhawk?

• 1980's

Votes: 30 13.4%
  • 1990's

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • 2000"s

Votes: 15 6.7%
  • Never played in Greyhawk

Votes: 69 30.8%
  • Greyhawk Grognard till I die!

Votes: 92 41.1%

EricNoah

Adventurer
I never did "learn" Greyhawk particularly thoroughly even though I owned the first boxed set. I think the first setting I really "learned" was FR when it was first released. I never did go back to Greyhawk after that. Maybe it was because FR was new and I could get in on the ground floor and learn stuff as it was being published.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I have played Greyhawk, but never particularly cared about it as a setting. It was nice, but ... somehow I just never felt attached.

Cheers, -- N

der_kluge

Adventurer
I've always considered Greyhawk to be the most generic campaign setting. I don't mean that as a slam - I think that was it's purpose.

But, as a result, I don't think there's much "gee whiz" about Greyhawk - it's just *there*.

For years, I never had a campaign setting, per se. I ran a lot of Planescape, and Al-Qadim and played in quite a bit of Dark Sun - so those were our campaign settings.

When I a ran a "generic" game, I ran with the Forgotten Realms maps and gods. I didn't stick to canon much (no one cared), and it seemed a far more interesting, and more importantly - far more detailed place than Greyhawk was.

Nowadays, I use the Wilderlands. It's arguably as "generic" as Greyhawk is, but it's FAR FAR FAR more detailed.

ioun_stone

First Post
After my first two years or so of gaming, I turned to thinking about setting, and that's when I discovered the '83 boxed set. I bought it and was hooked! I've never given up on Oerth, although for the past couple of years we've been on Eberron (I haven't DMed in nearly three years, the last time being the Scarred Lands, another "dead" setting I love). I'd love to see new Greyhawk product, but I realize it is unlikely.

Greyhawk is dead.

Long live Greyhawk!

T. Foster

First Post
1990s (the Greyhawk Wars boxed set was the first thing I outright refused to buy) but in retrospect it should've been the 1980s (I could easily do without ever having owned WG7: Castle Greyhawk or Master Wolf...).

seskis281

First Post
T. Foster said:
1990s (the Greyhawk Wars boxed set was the first thing I outright refused to buy) but in retrospect it should've been the 1980s (I could easily do without ever having owned WG7: Castle Greyhawk or Master Wolf...).

Yeah I have the comedy Castle Greyhawk on shelf and haven't even bothered to try and sell it because I can't really conceive of anyone wanting it...

EyeontheMountain

First Post
Greyhawk has always been one of my setting choices since I started playing D&D. Sometimes I play there, sometime homebrew, and sometimes in another campaign world. But Greyhawk is my default setting, the one I use if I don't really care what setting my game is set in.

I am running a greyhawk game, now, actually.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads