When you are DMing your setting

DragonLancer

Adventurer
I love the arcitecture of those old cathedrals and castles, and especially the German village home shown on that site. It seems that as we have become more and more "advanced" our buildings get uglier and uglier. Shame. Great site.

Shieldhaven

Explorer
Note to self:

Print out or otherwise display pictures of these castles as visual aids for next gaming session.

Because, wow, I could save myself at least a thousand words. ;)

Haven

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Good article, a shame it's written with such venom. There are many non-inflammatory articles that can show the same marvelous works and history. I only feel pity for the author. :(

But the pictures he or she (which Marian is that, the feminine one?) used ARE marvelous choices. :)

Nellisir

Hero
A bit prejudiced, but interesting.

For what it's worth, my understanding is that threshholds were originally used in barns, to keep the grain from slipping under the door when the wheat (or other cereal) was threshed; thus, a thresh-hold. The threshhold today is the part of the door jamb that seals tightly against the bottom of the (usually exterior) door; an interior threshhold is only used when flooring changes at a doorway.

Steel_Wind

Legend
An interesting article - though a little agressive in its defence. Mind you, looking at the e-mail it refutes, I understand the author's outrage.

That said, I didn't notice the section which explained away the "burning of local heretics at the stake" to illustrate how the Age of Faith was not at all backwards. :\

An age of man, myth and magic? No. But a time of poverty, pestilence and inequality comes a lot closer to the truth.

A good read though. Thanks for this one Gary.

Dirigible

Explorer
Wow, that Milanese cathedral is magnificent. It's like someone said 'let's build a mountain full of god!'

For those who believe that the medieval period was really backwards and had no amenites, take a look at this website:

I'm not sure it's actually that useful in that regard. If we had the piece that stimulated this site's content, we might find the truth somewhere between them.

Look at the links on the bottom of the page, and enjoy a big, delicious grain of salt.

Remove ads