When you are DMing your setting

VirgilCaine

First Post
Turjan said:
Witch hunts culminated in the 16th and 17th centuries and are generally seen as the predecessor of modern trials, because they tried to apply a systematic procedure, meant to prove the guilt of the accused, even if in a faulted way. .

Um, maybe.
History major here, and being tried by your peers and cross-examination of witnesses existed in the middle ages.

Once the papacy got rid of (i.e. refused to allow clergy to participate in these trials, which basically consisted of asking God for guidance in a matter of justice, so, no priest, no trial) trying people by throwing them tied up in ponds and seeing if they floated or burning a prisoner's hand and seeing if it becomes infected...you had a lot better chance of truth in a trial.

fusangite

First Post
Turjan said:
Witch hunts culminated in the 16th and 17th centuries and are generally seen as the predecessor of modern trials, because they tried to apply a systematic procedure, meant to prove the guilt of the accused, even if in a faulted way.
While you have correctly dated the biggest wave of witch trials, I think it's a real mistake to see them as some kind of development in empirical approaches to justice. The evidence-based tradition of Roman law never truly died; in fact the Middle Ages were a time when Roman-style legal principles spread north beyond the old frontier. Furthermore, the physical aspects of witch trials were more as much a resurgence of old Germanic ideas of ordeal as they were empirical evidence-gathering strategies.

shaylon

First Post
I get that email three to four times a year.

Thanks for posting this. It was interesting to see another view, even if it might just be skewed another way.

The photographs were magnificent. I really need to get to Europe someday.

-Shay

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
The counter argument was generalized and skewed, but it was overall a good deal more accurate than the email it intended to refute...and generally did quite handily.

That aside, the information supplied is accurate and useful to all those who are GMs of fantasy RPG campaigns, no?

:D
Gary

Belen

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
The counter argument was generalized and skewed, but it was overall a good deal more accurate than the email it intended to refute...and generally did quite handily.

That aside, the information supplied is accurate and useful to all those who are GMs of fantasy RPG campaigns, no?

:D
Gary

Very useful. I appreciate the link, sir.

Very interesting... I've read a lot of articles refuting the idea that the Middle Ages were a backwards time of learning, but this is the first article I've seen that refutes the claim that it was a time of backwards living.

Sellis

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
For those who believe that the medieval period was really backwards and had no amenites, take a look at this website:

I always hated how many settings seemed to be medieval with magic dropped in. I know this arguement has been made many times, but a society with such power would evolve much differently than our own.

*coughEberron?cough*

Nice website by the way, very informative.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Sellis said:
I always hated how many settings seemed to be medieval with magic dropped in. I know this arguement has been made many times, but a society with such power would evolve much differently than our own.

*coughEberron?cough*

Nice website by the way, very informative.
Quite!

Sadly, I am still having to justify why my current fantasy setting is not one of dung-covered peasants and ignorant, overbearing nobles :]

If a game milieu did not have a Dark Age, ancient knowledge would have continued to be employed as its middle ages progressed, and coupled with magic, a far more interesting and diverse number of cultures would have resulted.

I have retained a base of manoralism and feudal organization, but made things far more interesting IMO with technologu known in out Ancient period and added considerable Renaissance technology too, particularly in regards communication and transportation.

Cheers,
Gary

Remove ads