When you are DMing your setting

S'mon

Legend
"One thing I might add, care should be taken not to attribute to the 13th century the revolting uncleanliness of the 16th and subsequent centuries which, in France at least, has continued up to our own time. "

I agree with this statement entirely. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
S'mon said:
"One thing I might add, care should be taken not to attribute to the 13th century the revolting uncleanliness of the 16th and subsequent centuries which, in France at least, has continued up to our own time. "

I agree with this statement entirely. :)
No comment :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

S'mon

Legend
In fairness I'll mention that whereas when I visited France I caught athlete's foot, when I went to Amsterdam I caught Salmonella food poisoning & had to be put on a saline drip, so the French don't have a monopoly on filth. Not that the UK is exactly pristine either - if you want cleanliness I recommend Germany, Munster was spotless.

S'mon

Legend
On the other half of that excerpt, it is very notable that hygiene declined massively in the 16th & 17th centuries. One result was massively increased child mortality, you see this in eg the family tree of the kings & queens of England. After 1600 most children seem to die as infants whereas before Elizabeth's reign it seems to have been rare.

Remove ads