When you are DMing your setting

Rostek

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
The counter argument was generalized and skewed, but it was overall a good deal more accurate than the email it intended to refute...and generally did quite handily.

That aside, the information supplied is accurate and useful to all those who are GMs of fantasy RPG campaigns, no?

:D
Gary

Quoted for truth, and wisdom :)

I've never had the pleasure of getting the spam, but I have visited the site before (for less positive reasons :heh: ). This is one of the better written and objective articles there- which should tell one something, but is also a statement on the general quality of this piece(pretty pictures... yoinked for games).
On that note- I still have some ignorant and overbearing nobles and some crap-covered peasants- but these are always related phenomenon and are looked down upon by the general populace (both noble and not). Generally, those nobles are also minor villans or opponents for the heroes (free the people, restore justice and all that good stuff!) :D

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
While a rude and brutish knight or two serve the campaign well, I do find clever and cunning nobles far more interesting and challenging to the players characters, as are generally well-armed freefolk that are not uniformily stupid rustics :uhoh:

Of course any criminal society that is empowered by being able to gain more than petty baubles from poor and oppressed commoners is also more interesting and able to pose a threat to characters ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Rostek

Explorer
Col_Pladoh said:
While a rude and brutish knight or two serve the campaign well, I do find clever and cunning nobles far more interesting and challenging to the players characters, as are generally well-armed freefolk that are not uniformily stupid rustics :uhoh:

Of course any criminal society that is empowered by being able to gain more than petty baubles from poor and oppressed commoners is also more interesting and able to pose a threat to characters ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Indeed- the guys in question are "speedbumps", if you will. Sometimes, cliche is good for lulling the players into a false sense of security :] .
Of course, for all the players know, the brutish schtick could merely be an act to disguise more sinister stuff...

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Rostek said:
Indeed- the guys in question are "speedbumps", if you will. Sometimes, cliche is good for lulling the players into a false sense of security :] .
Of course, for all the players know, the brutish schtick could merely be an act to disguise more sinister stuff...
Well done!

:cool:
Gary

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
Thanks for this, Gary. Nice resource to keep in mind. You're really a historian in ways. ;)

I do think that though the article helps dispel myths, it also throws in some prejudices, too:

One thing I might add, care should be taken not to attribute to the 13th century the revolting uncleanliness of the 16th and subsequent centuries which, in France at least, has continued up to our own time.

genshou

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
The counter argument was generalized and skewed, but it was overall a good deal more accurate than the email it intended to refute...and generally did quite handily.

That aside, the information supplied is accurate and useful to all those who are GMs of fantasy RPG campaigns, no?

:D
Gary
Very useful! I've already been portraying the peasantry like that in my most recent campaign (in my sig, though it needs an update), but I needed a reminder so I could make things historically accurate and generally sensible in other campaigns I am planning.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
genshou said:
Very useful! I've already been portraying the peasantry like that in my most recent campaign (in my sig, though it needs an update), but I needed a reminder so I could make things historically accurate and generally sensible in other campaigns I am planning.
Having a "commmoner" populace that is generaly living above the poverty line makes for a far more interesting campaign, I believe. It allows for a larger upper class and an affluent middle class as well :D

Cheers,
Gary

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
From my reading of Yggsburgh added to other information from a {fnord} I've decided to make a huge change in my ever in development Dragon Earth setting. For one thing, the Goths (who never divided into Visigoth and Ostrogoth) wound up settling in and conquering Wales, Scotland, and Ireland for the Romans. They later formed the core of the armies that brought order and stability to Britain and France after Rome withdrew from those areas to defend Italia and the Balkans.

Where Rome is concerned, the empire did not fall when it did historically. While Rome ceased to be the capital, it and Italia as a whole remained in Roman hands until the empire actually fell in the 17th century to the Othman Turks. At which point Rome became the capital of the Kingdom of Italy, founded in 1643 with the purpose of restoring the empire.

Where medieval Dragon Earth is considered; while western Europe had its troubles, thanks to magic, gods, and able leadership it never got really bad. Public baths were a common feature in large communities, while bathing in nearby pools or streams remained popular. Magical measures against pests and parasites along with healing magic served to keep disease in check. Add in crop and herd animal magics aimed at increasing yield, and the health of that yield, and you've got a better fed and healthier populace than you had historically. And healthier people have a greater resistance to disease overall.

Then you had indoor plumbing, sewer systems, drainage systems, public health clinics, and (at the very least) local elections. (Don't underestimate control over one's life where health is concerned.) Indeed, the right to vote a noble or even a king out of office when such proved ineffectual spread from the Gothic tribes to near all of Europe by the 14th century. Though rule remained authoritarian even then, true democracy would not appear for centuries more.

By and large people stayed clean, had more to eat and a better variety in what there was to eat, and were much more prosperous. The discovery of Europe in the 14th century by descendents of the Huns who settled North America around the 5th century AD brought to Europe new foods, new diseases, and new magics. With the exception of the ailments all in all it was a good thing.

And there you have one example of a world where magic proved beneficial to the population.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Salutations Alan,

Right on!

Of course magical wars compopunded by rival pantheons joining the conflicts could have brought on and even darker Dark Age, but I am in accord with the approach you set forth...obviously :D

Cheers,
Gary

Remove ads