D&D Movie/TV Where is all of the Honor Among Thieves D&D stuff, WotC?

I am not one of the people who was the most upset about the "undermonitized" stuff, but holy crap, it's hard to say that Hasbro might not have a point there.
I mean most of us around here would, I'm sure, freaking leap at the right kind of monetization. Make a good movie with tie ins to the game! Make a t.v. show about beloved D&D properties, or even invent new ones! You're Hasbro for chrissakes, make action figures and D&D-Nerf swords and spell-effects! Sell plush owlbears! Funko Pops, for some unknowable reason, exist!

All the above sales, however, I would describe as additive to the community / culture we enjoy around D&D, rather than trying to radically restructure it.

Undrave

Legend
Oh, everything that's not under the direct control of WotC is happening. I expect we'll get the soundtrack track listing any day now.

It's just that the actual D&D stuff supporting a D&D movie, which would be the responsibility of the D&D folks in the room, is mysteriously AWOL.

I am not one of the people who was the most upset about the "undermonitized" stuff, but holy crap, it's hard to say that Hasbro might not have a point there.
No no I agree. Why isn't there a movie themed starter set? Is it some convoluted Hollywood rights thing where they have to pay royalties for their own brand's movie elements?!

I would assume Hasbro already lisenced the cast's likeness to do some of those 3D printed headsculpts they put on collector figures now so why not bundle rights to put their likeness on a DnD product?

Funko Pops, for some unknowable reason, exist!
Called that because they're made by Funko the company.

Dire Bare

Legend
I mean most of us around here would, I'm sure, freaking leap at the right kind of monetization. Make a good movie with tie ins to the game! Make a t.v. show about beloved D&D properties, or even invent new ones! You're Hasbro for chrissakes, make action figures and D&D-Nerf swords and spell-effects! Sell plush owlbears! Funko Pops, for some unknowable reason, exist!

All the above sales, however, I would describe as additive to the community / culture we enjoy around D&D, rather than trying to radically restructure it.
@Whizbang Dustyboots is, of course, specifically looking for D&D game movie tie-ins, not Hasbro toy movie tie-ins.

But Hasbro is releasing action figures, and D&D nerf guns (they are weird looking), and the new transformer-dice. There are also several novel, comic, and trade book tie-ins scheduled for later this year.

There are already a lot of D&D plushies and Funko Pops, and I do expect more centered specifically around the movie characters.

Oh, everything that's not under the direct control of WotC is happening. I expect we'll get the soundtrack track listing any day now.

It's just that the actual D&D stuff supporting a D&D movie, which would be the responsibility of the D&D folks in the room, is mysteriously AWOL.

That seems like Hasbro has a lack of faith in the D&D studio, not the movie, if its getting all the merch except the D&D team (although I'm pretty sure a MtG Secret Lair for the movie is going to come out, hopefully it will have new cards and not just cosmetically changed reprints like the Warhammer 40,000k secret lairs got stuck with).

I will note that out side of a possible cameo in Golden Keys (like damn that was the least exciting blurb for a hard cover ever), that the most likely tie in product for the movie would be Edgin's Guide to the Forgotten Realms (One D&D Campaign Setting Book), with little post-it comments from Edgin the Bard with quips from Holga or someone else.

I mean between various 5e hard covers, the Drow changes being covered hy RA Salvator novels, the upcoming movie + tie in novels (including a new Lord of Neverwinter), and a new edition with tradition being FR gets a setting book and Ray Winningers hint of a setting revisit for 2024, and fans of FR begging for years for stuff outside getting better covered then what was in the SCAG this could be the prime book to feature the movie characters on the cover and in the name.

Remove ads