D&D Movie/TV Where is all of the Honor Among Thieves D&D stuff, WotC?

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
For the movie to be a hit it needs about an order of magnitude more people to see it than there are DDB subscribers. That means most of them aren't current D&D players. That there isn't a movie branded D&D starters set. They can grab at target or order off Amazon while they are still on a movie high seems incompetent to the point of criminal.
They can already do that, does it need to have Chris Pine's face on that?

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I think you are missing the whole point of "tie in" products.
Cute.

I'm just saying, it's kinda pointless to make tie-in gaming products to promote the movie. They'd be better served making a dragon shaped Hershey's bar or similar. Something with a more general reach to promote the film. If people are interested in playing the game after seeing the movie they'd buy the starter set regardless of what art is on it.

delericho

Legend
Displacer beast and Red Wizards at first level, it would be a TPK! ;)
The Start Set adventures to date have covered multiple levels, so could easily have the displacer beast as one of the high-level challenges, and the Red Wizard BBEG could always be a low ranking member or even an apprentice.

Reynard

Legend
Cute.

I'm just saying, it's kinda pointless to make tie-in gaming products to promote the movie. They'd be better served making a dragon shaped Hershey's bar or similar. Something with a more general reach to promote the film. If people are interested in playing the game after seeing the movie they'd buy the starter set regardless of what art is on it.
I don't think you are recognizing the value of impulse buying based on image recognition. But it really isn't worth arguing about since there ISN'T a movie themed game product in sight.

teitan

Legend
For the movie to be a hit it needs about an order of magnitude more people to see it than there are DDB subscribers. That means most of them aren't current D&D players. That there isn't a movie branded D&D starters set. They can grab at target or order off Amazon while they are still on a movie high seems incompetent to the point of criminal.
There is a movie branded starter set at Target. It’s called Dungeons & Dragons. It doesn’t need Chris Pine‘s face on it. In fact there are three of them. Perhaps they found with the themed started sets that they don’t sell as well? but the movie is D&D. That’s the brand. It’s in the Realms. The starter sets are… in the Realms. It’s already there.

it’s kinda like asking why they didn’t do novelizations of The Lord of the Rings movies. Do we really need another Queen’s Gambit board game fiasco where it was just a chess set? Lmao

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I'm just saying, it's kinda pointless to make tie-in gaming products to promote the movie.
I think Reynard is arguing the opposite, that there should be a tie-in movie gaming product to promote the game not have the game promote the movie. As in get that audience who liked the movie to come check out the game by having a boxed set where the artwork is all movie stills and the adventure is somehow tied into the movie's plot without either spoiling the movie's plot or being superfluous and superficially connected to the film (which is what I meant yesterday when I was saying I think I know what a movie tie-in Starter Set would look like and it would likely be kind of meh IMO.)

I'm actually not sure that it would work, but my cynicism largely comes from the comic book side of things where comic book films just don't move the needle on getting people to buy comics, regardless of whether or not there's an actual movie tie-in. There is some overlap, but it's generally two different audiences.

(And @teitan does have a point that if someone goes looking for a D&D game at Target after the movie they are going to find something branded "Dungeons and Dragons" on the shelves that is actually a good product for new folks, so I'm not sure they actually do need something with movie stills on it to get the folks who might be in that overlap but just don't know it yet.)

teitan

Legend
The starter sets even take place in the same world. So it’s not like there isn’t a tie in and most of the adventures, all of them actually, are Forgotten Realms adventures. There are two with Waterdeep, the city from the movie, in their title!

Remove ads