D&D Movie/TV Where is all of the Honor Among Thieves D&D stuff, WotC?

Undrave

Legend
The starter sets even take place in the same world. So it’s not like there isn’t a tie in and most of the adventures, all of them actually, are Forgotten Realms adventures. There are two with Waterdeep, the city from the movie, in their title!
They could always re-release it with added cameos, it's not like changing NPCs a bit would be hard or have been a long process.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The owlbear plushie isn't being sold by Hasbro, and they are making exactly zero money off it. Same with lots of other "D&D" toys.
Etsy is full of high quality stuff that Hasbro should have made. Yeah, we're probably getting a Hasbro made Deck of Many Things prop later this year. But right now, you have more than a dozen choices you can get from Etsy that are almost certainly going to be of higher quality than what Hasbro will produce, if their past card products are any indication.

There needs to be much more and better merch than is out right now. There's a lot of low-hanging fruit going unplucked. Where are the posters? Where is the action figure line slowly working its way through the Monster Manual and beyond? Where are the oversized art books centering on classic D&D worlds or artists? Where are the cute Bluetooth headsets every kid in America seems to want? When they come out with a new setting, like Strixhaven or Prizmeer, why aren't we getting stuffed animals and t-shirts and stuff themed around it, to make it a brand of its own?

Instead of screwing around with the OGL in the hopes of maybe somehow getting a winning lottery ticket, they need to stop all the sales opportunities that passing through their fingers in the meantime.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm just saying, it's kinda pointless to make tie-in gaming products to promote the movie.
Decades of marketing says otherwise.
They'd be better served making a dragon shaped Hershey's bar or similar. Something with a more general reach to promote the film. If people are interested in playing the game after seeing the movie they'd buy the starter set regardless of what art is on it.
That's not the argument I'm making with this thread.

Yes, you can sell a D&D-themed candy bar once. You've made the company whatever cut of that candy bar. (More likely, you got a flat deal from Hershey's.)

With branded D&D stuff, you can get people who are not current D&D customers to start buying WotC stuff for potentially decades. That's vastly more lucrative than a candy bar promotion. Even if having a branded set only gets 10% more new customers to become long-term D&D players, that's incredibly valuable and more than pays for the man hours required to create an Honor Among Thieves starter set.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
The starter sets even take place in the same world. So it’s not like there isn’t a tie in and most of the adventures, all of them actually, are Forgotten Realms adventures. There are two with Waterdeep, the city from the movie, in their title!
How do non-players know this? WotC isn't even putting a sticker on the boxed sets saying "Explore more of the world as seen in Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves!"

Only existing customers would know there's even a remote connection.

And it is remote: "OK, sail for a week southwest from Neverwinter, which you saw in the movie. That island out there? That's this boxed set. Oh, and there's some characters who cameoed in the movie in the art, although they don't actually appear in the adventure. No, we don't understand that part, either."

Clint_L

Hero
Cute.

I'm just saying, it's kinda pointless to make tie-in gaming products to promote the movie. They'd be better served making a dragon shaped Hershey's bar or similar. Something with a more general reach to promote the film. If people are interested in playing the game after seeing the movie they'd buy the starter set regardless of what art is on it.
They made one for Stranger Things. Just sayin'.

edosan

Adventurer
Lol. They absolutely reissued The Lord of the Rings in multiple formats with the movie imagery on the covers. You just proved my point for me. Thanks!
They do this all the time - it is a pretty common thing in book publishing. Most of the time when they turn a book into a movie, they reissue it with a tie-in cover. Hunger Games, Twilight, and yes, even LotR. A notable exception is the Harry Potter books.

teitan said:

It is easy to forget we here are a niche of a niche and there are orders of magnitude more people that know who Chris Pine is than know what the Forgotten Realms are.

teitan

Legend
Lol. They absolutely reissued The Lord of the Rings in multiple formats with the movie imagery on the covers. You just proved my point for me. Thanks!
Oh sure sure. I agree but they didn’t rewrite anything and it didn’t boost sales on the already best selling novels. People didn’t go into stores saying “I need that novel with Elijah Wood on the cover”. They said “do you have Lord of the Rings?” and the clerk said “sure” and they bought whatever the clerk handed them.

teitan

Legend
How do non-players know this? WotC isn't even putting a sticker on the boxed sets saying "Explore more of the world as seen in Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves!"

Only existing customers would know there's even a remote connection.

And it is remote: "OK, sail for a week southwest from Neverwinter, which you saw in the movie. That island out there? That's this boxed set. Oh, and there's some characters who cameoed in the movie in the art, although they don't actually appear in the adventure. No, we don't understand that part, either."
It says… DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. The movie is called what again???

Remove ads