• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which adventure was your first? Ever itch to play/DM it again?

The_Gneech

Explorer
"Crypt of the Sorcerer" and its larger sequel "Caverns of Doom," miniatures games put out by Heritage U.S.A. c. 1982. Gameplay wise it was comparable to HeroQuest, except it came with metal figs you had to paint.

At the time it was quite cool. :) These days, well, the figs would be considered crude and the maps disappointing (the entire "Crypt of the Sorcerer" was a miniatures-scale map at page size, so the entire thing was about four 10'x10' rooms and one 10'x30' room ... the "Caverns of Doom" were 11"x17" and so a little better but not much).

I did love the cover art on the boxes, tho; very creepy and evocative. Nice miniatures-gaming scenery too, which of course the game itself didn't really have.

-The Gneech :cool:

Last edited:

Abe.ebA

First Post
I played homebrew only up until relatively recently. The first published adventure that I played in was Descent to Undermountain. First one I DMed was Ex Libris, from an issue of Dungeon magazine (can't recall the issue, and that may not even be the correct title).

I've played Undermountain campaigns numerous times since then and even DMed a couple. We never really followed it very strictly in any case, so it's always a new game. Ex Libris I've run 4 times, only once did the PCs actually make it through. I also built an area based on that adventure on a MUD I ran back in the 90's. In case the title's wrong and someone else remembers the correct one: it involves a ruined temple inhabited by Hecuva. Under the temple is a library made up of magically shifting rooms. The rooms all have themes (greenhouse room, forge room, magical target practice room) and the issue of Dungeon had a cardstock map with perforated rooms so that you could lay them out and move them around as the library changed configurations over the course of the adventure. I don't recall if there was a goal other than trying to get back out once you got in, but I believe the issue of Dungeon in question had a cover image based on the adventure. An abishii demon leaping out of a book (as numerous ones were prone to do during said adventure). Anyone remember what issue that was? Talking about it makes me want to go back and look at it again...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
First adventure as a player: a homebrew module called "Nakki-Nakk", which I've since played in again, and DM'ed.

First "canned module" adventure as a player: the lower level(s) of "Bone Hill" (we were cleaning up after a previous party had missed over half the adventure).

First adventure as a DM: a homebrew disaster called "Trey Hill" where expectations all around were low to nonexistent, mainly so I could learn the DM'ing ropes.

First canned module as DM: "Rahasia".

Favourite canned module to play: "Tomb of the Lizard King".

Favourite canned module to DM: "Lost Temple of Tharizdun", but you gotta be ready to die. :]

Lanefan

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
As a player: the "choose-your-own-adventure" style one in the Basic D&D Red boxed set.

DM: The ruined castle in the Dungeon Master's booklet in the same set.

It's been 20 years and I still haven't killed Bargle yet. Something needs to be done about that.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Ran - B2 - over and over, some times with 1 player, some times as many as 3. At least two were TPK to the mad hermit and his cat.
I would like to play it again, just cause.

played - Expedition to barrier peaks. a 30 lvl magic user who pretty much only used fireballs.
no idea of the rules I just laid down the explosions.
We hit up on the elevator and were shot out into space.
tried running it later, unsucessfully.

Played it much later at a con with the caveate we could use anything we could remember. I think someone still shot themselves with a strange gun.

Captain Howdy

Explorer
I started playing in 1999, and the first adventure I ran was the Dungeons and Dragons: Worlds of Adventure fast play game - Wrath of the Minotaur, by Jeff Grubb.

dd-wotm.jpg

I can't really remember too many details about it, but I remember running it with my brother and two friends as players. We all had a blast. The only thing I owned before that was the intro boxed set and the crappy dice that came with it (in the rubber TSR bag).

One interesting thing: I am looking at the book right now, I dug it up because of this thread, and I laughed when I saw this. It is a 47 page full color book, with a couple full page art pieces, and 8 pre-made characters... and the price on the back is $4.95. :lol:

SpiderMonkey

Explorer
Captain Howdy said:
I started playing in 1999, and the first adventure I ran was the Dungeons and Dragons: Worlds of Adventure fast play game - Wrath of the Minotaur, by Jeff Grubb.

dd-wotm.jpg

I can't really remember too many details about it, but I remember running it with my brother and two friends as players. We all had a blast. The only thing I owned before that was the intro boxed set and the crappy dice that came with it (in the rubber TSR bag).

One interesting thing: I am looking at the book right now, I dug it up because of this thread, and I laughed when I saw this. It is a 47 page full color book, with a couple full page art pieces, and 8 pre-made characters... and the price on the back is $4.95. :lol:

I used this module as the jumping point for my group's last 2nd ed campaign. We had a blast with it. What's stranger yet is that I'm using the map and some of the flavor text for a dungeon (one of a couple) located near the PCs' hometown in the newest game I'm starting in 3.5. Crazy.

The first adventure that I ran or played in was B2 The Keep on the Borderlands. I am, in fact, going through that adventure right now to familiarize myself with it again so that I can run it for some people who have never played through it.

Later
silver

Remove ads