• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Which AP should I play with my group?

plancktum

First Post
While probably not available in German translations you might consider some of the 3PP, non-Paizo Pathfinder APs for something different. Don't show a blind eye, just because a given PF AP is not a Paizo publication.

Way of the Wicked is a full AP by Fire Mountain Games for a party of evil PCs.

Razor Coast is a polynesian-esque pirate setting by Frog God Games.

Slumbering Tsar is another awesome Frog God Games AP.

The Curse of the Golden Spear is a short trilogy of modules as an introduction to the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror by Rite Publishing (think of it as a cross between Oriental Adventures and Ravenloft).

Thank you very much! I've taken a look at Razor Coast and talked to my Players. So, we've decided to play a more free-form campaign and Razor Coast seems to fit perfectly for that. :)

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Thank you very much! I've taken a look at Razor Coast and talked to my Players. So, we've decided to play a more free-form campaign and Razor Coast seems to fit perfectly for that. :)

Well I tried to give you open-minded choices. So if you do run Razor Coast, you might also consider a product of mine, that while having an oriental flavor, is a one-shot module that fits well in Razor Coast. Haiku of Horror: Autumn Moon Bath House is a Japanese bath house which could be setup on one of the populated island cities as an immigrant quarter location. I conceived, developed, designed, wrote and created the cartography for this product. It includes a tortured ghost of a bath house attendant and a curse. The ghost comes in multiple CRs to be useful as a location for many varying levels of adventurers. The ghost in question comes in CR 4, 8, 12, 18 and 22.

Barcellos

First Post
While probably not available in German translations you might consider some of the 3PP, non-Paizo Pathfinder APs for something different. Don't show a blind eye, just because a given PF AP is not a Paizo publication.

Way of the Wicked is a full AP by Fire Mountain Games for a party of evil PCs.

Razor Coast is a polynesian-esque pirate setting by Frog God Games.

Slumbering Tsar is another awesome Frog God Games AP.

The Curse of the Golden Spear is a short trilogy of modules as an introduction to the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror by Rite Publishing (think of it as a cross between Oriental Adventures and Ravenloft).

Way of the Wicked looks amazing! Always wanted to play an evil AP but always
found little support. Have you played it? Know other adventures or AP for evil groups ?

Starfox

Hero
Way of the Wicked looks amazing! Always wanted to play an evil AP but always
found little support. Have you played it? Know other adventures or AP for evil groups ?

A group around here that I'm close to but not a member of played it recently, and had fun. The GM was not super-enthused, but found it good fun.

Luz

Explorer
About 2/3 through Skull & Shackles. Its good, but not really a pirate adventure - it is a regular adventure set in a pirate setting. The players are not actually supposed to do a lot of pirating, which caused some of my players to leave the game early on when they noticed. I am considering ending it after the first 4 parts - the end doesn't look as good as the beginning.

Only read Serpent's Skull, but my impression matches ones given above - the first 4 parts look good, the last 2 ones are one huge dungeon crawl.

In fact these have a lot f similarities. They are both set in the tropics, and feature the environment as an enemy and conflict with other explorers/pirates. THe player have more freedom in Skull & Shackles, Serpent's skull is more linear (or railroady if you prefer), but the difference isn't that big.

I think it boils down to pirates vs. explorers. Ask your players which they prefer.
I think these two APs work best when combined. I started a group in book 1 and 2 of S&S, then plan to use book 3 from SS, book 4 from S&S and finish with books 5 & 6 from SS. Obviously, the overall plot arch will need adjusting to suit your campaign.

Also, Freeport is an excellent resource that could be easily added to a campaign like this. I'm not too familiar with the Razor Coast, but I imagine it isn't a stretch to work any or all of these into that campaign either.

Starfox

Hero
I considered mixing up the APs, but one is landlocked and the other is naval, and switching back and forth between them did not seem doable. Perhaps if I was converting them to another system with less level escalation, I could have done it, but Pathfinder is too locked into its level progression to make things like this easy.

Razor coast is huge. It feels very much like a sand box. Sure you can run either Skull and Shackles or Serpent's Skull there, but then you are ignoring the sandbox. If you play a very long campaign, where most of the action is in the sandbox but the APs crop up now and then, that might work, but that would take several years to play!

Luz

Explorer
I considered mixing up the APs, but one is landlocked and the other is naval, and switching back and forth between them did not seem doable. Perhaps if I was converting them to another system with less level escalation, I could have done it, but Pathfinder is too locked into its level progression to make things like this easy.
Yes, a good amount of restructuring the storyline to link the modules together is required with a Skull & Shackles/Serpent's Skull mashup, which I was prepared for when we began playing it. I also borrowed liberally from Isles of the Shackles campaign setting book, it has some wonderful ideas and locations for a campaign of this flavor. Now that I think of it, my campaign was very much a sandbox, with the overarching AP plot available to the players when they are ready.

As far as level progression, I tend to house rule it and ignore xp altogether, leveling up the party when it is appropriate. Its just easier and this way I can move the AP at my own pace. YMMV.

Razor coast is huge. It feels very much like a sand box. Sure you can run either Skull and Shackles or Serpent's Skull there, but then you are ignoring the sandbox. If you play a very long campaign, where most of the action is in the sandbox but the APs crop up now and then, that might work, but that would take several years to play!
If I didn't already own way too much material, I would probably get Razor Coast. I'm sure its excellent. I have recently been reading the Pirate's Guide to Freeport and the latest module for that setting called Dark Deeds in Freeport. I have been really impressed with both and highly recommend them for this style of play. Great stuff.

Remove ads