• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which Class or classes do you feel are unbalanced-too powerful?

Which class or classes are a bit to strong?

• Barbarian

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Bard

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Cleric

Votes: 100 45.2%
  • Druid

Votes: 77 34.8%
  • Fighter

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Monk

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Paladin

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • Ranger

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Wizard

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • None-The classes are all more or less balanced

Votes: 80 36.2%

Eloi

First Post
Heh, I just wish Wizards would remember that they might want Scry someday, back at 1st level. I have a vivid memory of a month ago, overhearing "What's this word, "Scry"? from a wizard who was looking over his class skills between levels.

Thieves don't get to be Fireballs when no one's willing to flank for them - which happens with sad frequency. :(

melkorspawn

First Post
Eloi said:
Thieves don't get to be Fireballs when no one's willing to flank for them - which happens with sad frequency. :(

<Shadowdancer>That's why I love my Shadow. My Shadow doesn't judge me. My Shadow will flank for me whenever I want... and if he doesn't, I'll just HiPS</Shadowdancer>

Testament

First Post
Cleric. After 10th level, there's nothing any character can do that the Cleric can't do better. Divine Metamagic just made it even more obscene.

gabrion

First Post
I'd like to see another poll like this (and the underpowered one), with non-core classes. I'd like to see if the Artificer could get more than 50% of people to agree that it is overpowered. :D

Rystil Arden

First Post
gabrion said:
I'd like to see another poll like this (and the underpowered one), with non-core classes. I'd like to see if the Artificer could get more than 50% of people to agree that it is overpowered. :D
Well Cleric has over 50% at the moment.

gabrion

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
Well Cleric has over 50% at the moment.

Hence the comparison. The D+D team at WotC has all but admitted that the Cleric is the most powerful *core* class printed, but the Artificer blows it away IMO. I'd like to see the poll though.

Li Shenron

Legend
Ack... I made a voting mistake :heh: Anyway, I wanted to voted Druid & Ranger, but I voted only Ranger. I think the Druid was powerful enough in 3.0 and 3.5 went a bit overboard. The Ranger isn't really overpowered, but has been too overcompensated for lacking something in 3.0, and now it's got a bit too many little things.

Kisanji Arael

First Post
I voted none.

There are perhaps one or two that are underpowered, but that's it. In general, ranger still needs work, as does straight bard. However, while ranger is a failure even in combinations, I've seen bard combinations that by twentieth level were far out-shining all those around them. Sorc and Wizard are balanced in relation to one another; if one is over-powered, then they both are. I don't think so, though. Cleric hits a niche and that's it. Eh, Druids might be, but I don't think so.

FireLance

Legend
I wonder how much of the cleric's apparent power is due to his ability to cast self-buffs such as divine favor, divine power and righteous might. If almost all the cleric's spellpower had to be used to heal and buff other PCs (which is supposed to be his primary function anyway), would you still consider him to be overpowered?

What if the cleric could only cast a spell that only affects a single target on himself (healing, buffing or any other spell) once per day for every odd level that he has attained (once per day at 1st level, twice per day at 3rd level, three times per day at 5th level, and so on), and an additional single-target healing spell on himself once per day for every even level (once per day at 2nd level, twice per day at 4th level, three times per day at 6th level, and so on). This will help reinforce the point that a cleric's role is to heal the other party members and to make the other party members perform better, or alternatively to heal everyone and to make everyone perform better with spells such as bless, prayer, mass cure wounds and mass bull's strength. Would the cleric still be overpowered then?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads