• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Which classes have the least identity?

Which classes have the least identity?

• Artificer

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • Barbarian

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Bard

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • Cleric

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Druid

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Fighter

Votes: 59 37.6%
  • Monk

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Paladin

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Ranger

Votes: 39 24.8%
  • Rogue

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Warlock

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • Wizard

Votes: 36 22.9%
  • Sorcerer

Votes: 69 43.9%

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
It comes down to the fact that that "inborn magic bloodline" is an unused facade stapled to a full on wizard with extra features that make it better at being a wizard instead of actually being a class that in play at the table is distinct in from wizard like moon druids are from cleric or land druids.
A wizard is a swiss army mage, the sorcerer can only ever do a few things but they do it very well and with a lot of flexibility. They are designed to play very differently, and I can't say I've ever seen either in play look all that similar to the other.

Kurotowa

Legend
Sorcerers have narrative identity, but lack mechanical identity. In 3e they were the spontaneous caster counterpart to the prepared caster Wizard. Now that Wizards are spontaneous casters, but better because they can swap out their spells, all the Sorcerer has is Metamagic. And Metamagic is thin and insufficient. Also most of the subclasses do only a so-so job on delivering their narrative identity.

Fighters and Wizards are a bit fuzzy on the identity front. They're the everything classes, the Fighting Man and Magic User, the base generic templates that are supposed to have the flavor drawn in by picking subclasses and other character options. Which doesn't work quite as well as it once did. The Fighter subclasses sometime add a decent amount of flavor, but Wizards really are nothing more than a bare framework for spell selection.

If I were going to remove one class, it'd be the one that's so forgettable it didn't even make the poll. Sorcerers just lack any sort of purpose in the game. Fighters and Wizards are too core to remove, and I'm not sure I'd even want to apply more innate flavor to the base classes. But if we're sticking with the 5e framework, their subclasses should inject the required dose of flavor to the base material.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
  • Fighter: I'm about using all the weapons and armor., none of the magic. I do the best in combat and physical challenges.
  • Mage("Wizard"): I'm about using all the magic, none of the armor and very few weapons. I do the best with magic and intellectual challenges.

• Thief("Rogue"): I'm about bringing support with some skills and some combat, no magic, some of the weapons. I do the best in exploration and some skill challenges in which I focus.
  • Cleric: I'm about bringing support however I can. I do well (but not usually "the best") in combat/or magic/or skills, physical/or intellectual/or exploration/or interactions, and a variety of specific challenges, dependent on the foci of the deity/alignment I serve.

• Fighter + Mage = "Swordmage" - combat-focused, magic support/arcane lore, casting/combat vs. specific foes
  • Cleric + Thief = Warlock - magic-focused, skill support/occult lore, variety of support/specific abilities and magic other casters don't/can't use dependent on the patron I serve.

• Fighter + Thief = Ranger - skill-focused (wilderness/survival), combat support/nature lore, tracking, hunting/combat vs. specific foes
  • Fighter + Cleric = Paladin - combat-focused, magic support/divine lore, healing, smiting/combat vs. specific foes
  • Mage + Cleric = Druid - magic-focused, skill support/nature lore, shapeshifting. "Nature/Primal" magic other casters don't/can't use.
  • Mage + Thief = Bard - skill-focused, magic support/diverse lore, inspiring, variety of support/speicifc abilities and magic other casters don't/can't use.

Everything else is gravy. Classes beyond this list are defined by ever-diminishing circles of specific niche abilties, and proportionate ever-expanding circles of specific "lore/story" to explain the class.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
The Wizard class can dramatically refocus on the "creator" themes:

• Dunamancy (Force)
• Evocation (Elemental Energy)
• Transmutation (Earth, Plant, Animal)
• Illusion (Quasi Real Constructs)

Remove Abjuration (Healing), Conjuration (Planes), Divination (Space-Time), Enchantment (Mind), and Necromancy (Undead, Fiend, Aberration).

Last edited:

Fifinjir

Explorer
Was a tough decision between the fighter and wizard, but I ultimately went with wizard. With fighters there’s a wide variety of concepts you can fit into them, which is good, but there’s not a lot to distinguish those concepts from each other. But the problem with wizards goes even deeper.

Wizards have an identity crisis because their form of magic, the thing the whole class is built around, has an identity crisis. Wizard magic is the “none of the above”, defined primarily by what it isn’t. It doesn’t come from a god or whatever quality unites warlock patrons but distinguishes them from gods, but it’s not “natural” either. This is all well and good, but it still leaves the question of “okay, then what is it?”

Druid raises a few eyebrows for me as well, because I haven’t seen D&D really define what it means by nature, but not to the same extent.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
For me it is the three "generic" classes that have no identity on their own-- IE "narrative" behind them. That being the Fighter, Rogue, and Sorcerer.

All three of these classes are merely umbrella terms for their actual identities, which is all their subclasses. Their subclasses have identities and stories and narrative as to who they are and how they became what they are. But the classes themselves do not, in my opinion. (And heck, even two of the Fighter subclasses have no identity either-- the Champion and the Battlemaster.)

Now people try and say the same thing about the Wizard, but I do not believe that is true. Because the Wizard class have a very definitive narrative on its own-- it is those spellcasters that have to scientifically learn the ins and outs of magic-- things that are so complicated that they have to write them down in spellbooks and can't even keep track of the magic in their heads... having to study and re-learn their magic every morning when they wake up. Learning how to cast magic is hard and the Wizards have to be very smart and very meticulous to acquire and use it. And they get all this magic learning how to tap into the leylines of arcane power called The Weave. And their subclasses do not change or redefine who Wizards are, they are merely different flavors of Wizards that tell us what types of magic they specialize in. That's a narrative and story. That's an identity to me.

Whereas the Sorcerer class identity is merely "innate magic". That's it. A Sorcerer has magic. But the class itself doesn't tell us what innate magic is or how they acquire it. Any narrative or flavor as to the type of magic they have or where it came from or how they tap into this magic all comes from their subclasses. So their subclasses have all the identity, but the class itself does not. A Wild Mage is a very flavorful sorcerer type. A Draconic sorcerer tells us all we need to know about what this character's story is. But Sorcerer itself? Nada.

And as far as Fighters and Rogues... we all know that their identities come from their subclasses-- Samurai, Rune Knights, Assassins, Masterminds, Scouts, Cavaliers, Swashbucklers etc. Every single one of these archetypes could be a class entirely on their own (and many of them HAVE been so in the past), and the only reason they are not is because they all use the same game mechanics for ease-of-use. So they group all these former classes under two umbrella terms-- the Fighter and the Rogue-- and do what they do. But those umbrella terms are just generic and give us nothing about how they are on their own.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I see few votes for warlock, but based on the threads here, warlock fans actively resist the idea that RAW class identity is something that should impact their game. ("Wait, my patron might want something from my warlock? MY DM IS A SOCIOPATH!") So, effectively, I'd say warlocks don't have much identity beyond "the character with eldritch blast, unless they're a hexblade."

I'm also not sure removing classes based on them being too generic would create a satisfying game. ("Sorry, you can't just be a guy who's good with a sword. Can you at least use a food-themed weapon or something instead?")

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads