Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer to be?

• Player

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • GM/DM

Votes: 32 76.2%

i put player mainly because i've only gm'd like...twice, so i don't actually know if i prefer it to playing. i did really like gming, though, so i guess i'll find out how well that answer ages.

Depends a bit on who's taking the GM role and how they run the game, but generally I'm happy to be "just" a player. I don't mind running games, though.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Like many, I enjoy both. But I must confess, unless I'm actually suffering GM burnout, I don't look for Player opportunities. Therefor, clicked GM

Celebrim

Legend
I enjoy both, but I'm happier with the games I run as a GM than I am with the games that others run for me as a player. I've enjoyed being a player a lot, but I haven't had much chance to be a player in the last 30 years and when I have been a player except on a few occasions I was all the time internally critiquing the GM or the system or both and it spoiled my enjoyment whenever I was thinking (I could do better than this).

I voted GM/DM, but really, what I prefer is to have a reliable game, one that won't fold after a few months because the GM/DM isn't able to put in the work to keep the game going. Life comes up, I totally get that, but I know at least that I take my commitments seriously.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
I voted GM/DM, but really, what I prefer is to have a reliable game, one that won't fold after a few months because the GM/DM isn't able to put in the work to keep the game going. Life comes up, I totally get that, but I know at least that I take my commitments seriously.
yeah, it seems that the person who ends up GMing the most is the one most dedicated to "playing" the game. In this particular context, I'm using "playing" in the general sense of the word, not just being a player.

R_J_K75

Legend
At this point I'd much rather play as I've carried the brunt of the DM duties over the last 20-25 years and quite honestly, I don't really have the desire to do it much anymore. Our group now is only 4 players including either myself or another player who DMs, so I don't get much of a break when I do get to play. As others have said I prefer consistency in our gaming schedule whether I'm DMing or playing, but it seems that we reschedule more than we actually play lately.

Remove ads