Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer to be?

• Player

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • GM/DM

Votes: 32 76.2%

Jorren

Explorer
It used to be 50/50 for me back when I had a lot more spare time. Nowadays, being older and slower, time and energy are an issue so I definitely lean towards the player side.

I will say that in every instance where I ran a game or played a game with someone who was primarily a GM, my thought afterwards was "I'd rather not play with this person again".

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
GM, for me it is all about being creative and wanting to write a book (not good enough for that), see gaming as a way to tell a story, to build a world and entertain.

Theory of Games

Disaffected Game Warrior
Gamemaster. The position allows me to tinker with the rules in a more direct manner. Rules for combat, exploration and social interactions. I can, if the game isn't broken trash, shape scenarios to my liking. Even if the game's trash as GM I can fix it with changes our group prefers. Players are just passengers even when the rules are "player-facing" (like GMs never roll or players can narrate changes to the ongoing scene).

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
One of the things I like about solo play is the extent to which I can do both without the performance anxieties both can give me.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Both.

Sorry, I would not prefer to be one or the other. They are quite different aspects of the hobby that are complimentary but different. I want to do both.

Robin F

Villager
I enjoy both but usually end up GMing, since I get to choose exactly the game I want to play for the moment. In a beer and pretzels setting I prefer being a player though!

Remove ads