D&D General Which edition of D&D are you currently interested in?

Which edition of D&D are you currently interested in?

delericho

Legend
The only gaming I get to enjoy at the moment is 5e. I don't see that changing any time soon.

That said, I'm always interested in the next edition, whenever that might be.

I'm playing 5E and not likely to play any other edition of D&D in the future, although I regularly look at 4E for inspiration. Once my current 5E campaign wraps up I'd like to at least try 13th Age and Shadow of the Demon Lord, both of which seem really interesting to me.

teitan

Legend
5e mostly because it is as easy to play as 1 or 2e while allowing a nice set of options for customization. The optional rules allow for different levels of granularity of play that can be put into play and removed from play without damaging game play experience. It's a step in the right direction away from requiring miniatures for play while also allowing for groups who want to use miniatures an in depth system that can have layers of complexity added to it. I shift in and out in single sessions depending on the needs of the encounter. I also like that it takes cues from the best aspects of 2e with the subclasses seeming almost directly inspired by Kits from the PHBR series and the best ideas of the prestige class concept. On top of the that the changes to spellcasting are almost directly lifted from Arcana Unearthed/Evolved, which was a brilliant system that gave spellcasters a much needed flexibility.

I want to try Essentials as well. I never got to play 4e and I am of the understanding that Essentials is the superior version of that system. I found in reading both standard 4e and Essentials that it was a lot better than given credit and a lot of the lore is really, really interesting a setting.

Zardnaar

Legend
Mine is going back to 3.5 reduce HP, redo monster math and add some 5e improvements -NeoVancian and advantage/bonus dice for buffs-. Also streamline things here and there.

To play 3.5 again. It would need a clean with skills, bounded accuracy and a removal of wands of clw and buying magic items.

Coroc

Hero
My FAVORITE edition is 1e.
What I'm currently playing/DMing is 5e & PF2.

My order of preference playwise is:
1e, 5e, PF1/3x, PF2, 2e, BECMI (includes Moldvay, Cyclopedia, Holmes)

OD&D & 4e (including 4e essentials) are only of abstract interest to me.
●OD&D - as a piece of history,
●4e - only to occasionally tease a 4e fan to see if I can get a rise out of them. They rarely dissapoint. :)

Interesting, but 2e is so much closer to 1e than PF?

What is so much better in 1e than in 2e? I am that curious because I started with 2e, but when picking up 1e stuff occasionally at the game store back then, I never saw much difference, except the level limits and attribute limits.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
4e and Moldvay B/X, while possibly opposite ends of the spectrum, but both were probably the clearest of their design purpose and focus.

Well said.

I love these editions because they're very anti-Gygax: They're clear. They're focussed. They make sense.

I still have a fondness for 3.5E even though it requires too much effort to run (IMO/YMMV). I've been running and playing D&D for 39 years and, as much as 4E is my favourite edition by a wide margin, the most fun I have had with D&D, and the longest-running campaigns, was with 3.5E. It just needed a better revision (and not the minor, ineffectual changes of Pathfinder 1E) and functional electronic tools.

Well said.

I love these editions because they're very anti-Gygax: They're clear. They're focussed. They make sense.

I still have a fondness for 3.5E even though it requires too much effort to run (IMO/YMMV). I've been running and playing D&D for 39 years and, as much as 4E is my favourite edition by a wide margin, the most fun I have had with D&D, and the longest-running campaigns, was with 3.5E. It just needed a better revision (and not the minor, ineffectual changes of Pathfinder 1E) and functional electronic tools.
I agree about what u say 3.5 needed.

Remove ads