D&D General Which edition of D&D are you currently interested in?

Which edition of D&D are you currently interested in?

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I am only interested in playing/running D&D 5e; but I really like the settings and modules from across the past editions that haven't been re-done in 5e.

ccs

41st lv DM
Interesting, but 2e is so much closer to 1e than PF?

So?

What is so much better in 1e than in 2e? I am that curious because I started with 2e, but when picking up 1e stuff occasionally at the game store back then, I never saw much difference, except the level limits and attribute limits.

I guess you could look at 2e as an improvement over 1e. But then I never claimed 1e was better. Just that I prefer it over the rest.

• The 1e DMG has a random Harlot table in it. (As well as for just about anything else you might need a chart for....)
  • Demons are demons, devils are devils. Not the 2e pandering to stupid people.
  • I like the art in my 1e PHB, DMG, MM, MMII, FF, & Deities & Demigods.
The good stuff, the bad, the odd, & the little cartoons. D&D is a bit of everything. It's lots of stuff & styles. The mixed bag of art shows that. That's been lost 2e+.
  • My 1e books are well made. They're tough. Well, except for UA... They're a bit battered, but they're still in one piece. UA not withstanding, I have NEVER replaced a 1e book due to wear & tear/damage. The only reason I own multiple PHB is to share at the table.
  • I like reading my 1e stuff. Did then, still do. My 2e? Not so much. Never did really. This is really important when it comes time to run/play a game..... (although as 4e proved it could be worse) So even though 2e is much closer to 1e than PF? When I go old school I'm pulling the books I like to read.
  • My 1e MM, MMII, & FF? Those are actual books. vs the craptastic 2e binder pages. Even when they relented & made the 2e Monster Compendium book? You STILL had to have a binder for stuff that didn't make the cut.
  • I dislike the 2e Complete Class/Race/Misc series. I despise the Options books.
  • I like the kind of rough kind of disorganized feel of 1e.
  • I like that Gygax just wrote assuming you knew what the hell he was talking about in the DMG etc. As a kid I looked up quite a bit of stuff & asked some really odd questions. That's missing in future editions.
  • And yes, I like the stat/class/lv limits, the different sub-systems for everything, & all those weird little rules tucked into the nooks & crannies of 1e.

B/X is my favorite. I'm running one currently and thinking of spinning up an online West Marches style hex crawl soon.

I've been playing and running 5E since before the PHB was even released. My first campaign was a conversion from B/X to 5E using the Basic Rules PDF.

If I had the chance to do it over, I would only ever use the Basic Rules and leave out the PHB classes.

ccs

41st lv DM
This is new for me, I have never heard anyone say they dislike the Complete Fighters Handbook.
Why the dislike?

And you still haven't. I said I disliked the series.
Largely the Complete series was just adding more stuff & working to fill pages. Not all of the books are as bad/good as the others & I was talking about them as a whole.
It's also been about 20 years since I last opened any of the Complete class/race books, so you won't be getting much in depth discussion on them from me.

Sadras

Legend
And you still haven't. I said I disliked the series.
Largely the Complete series was just adding more stuff & working to fill pages. Not all of the books are as bad/good as the others & I was talking about them as a whole.
It's also been about 20 years since I last opened any of the Complete class/race books, so you won't be getting much in depth discussion on them from me.

Fair enough.

Remove ads