Which edition of Star Wars RPG are you currently interested in?

Which edition of Star Wars RPG are you interested in?

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah - when Saga Edition came out I pretty much dumped all my SWD20 books and have never looked back.

I do want to hunt down some of the SWD6 Second Edition books, since that was my first Star Wars RPG - though I never actually owned a copy of the rules, just a copy I repeatedly checked out from the library.

I did that back in 2004 the books were generally $1 to $8 on eBay. Only a few were more than say 15 generally Jedi and Starship stuff.

Tales of the Jedi came sealed.

Stormonu

Legend
The WEG Star Wars Revised & Expanded rulebook (the one with the Falcon in Zardnaar's post above) is to me, by far, the best SW rulebook ever. Still have and use my WEG books. I also dumped my d20 version when SAGA came out - the d20 version was just a bad fit - and my SAGA books remain in storage. I bought, but couldn't get into the FFG version, it looks too dense.

hawknsparrow

Explorer
2e and 5e D&D player and GM and love love love the FFG Star Wars games. Not familiar with the other SW systems but love FFG precisely because the group breadth of interpretation of the dice always leads to an immersive, collective storytelling experience. At least that has been our experience. The ebb and flow of the force die combined with the light and dark side of the dice pool is also fun.

Greg K

Legend
I don't think d20 with it various D&Disms does licensed property well and I have no interest in the system by FFG. That leaves WEG's d6 which was not a bad game, but I do think they went a little overboard on skills with 2e. I also was not a fan of the introduction of the wild die or using character points for extra dice (both of which were introduced with 2e) .

aramis erak

Legend
My favorite ruleset is, hands down, FFG.

For campaign play, I find it much better at not blocking out low-experience characters entering mid-campaign from being useful. I've found it the best balance between jedi and non-jedi in play.

Ranking the various games...
  1. FFG combined
  2. WEG 2E (Not 2ER) The blue cover.
  3. WEG 1E with Rules Companion
  4. WEG 1E with Rules expansion
  5. WEG 1E core only
  6. WEG 2ER
  7. Unplayed fan conversions to Savage Worlds, Storyteller, and/or Traveller
  8. Not play at all
  9. SWSE (unplayed. Core read. ugh.)
  10. SW d20 2E
  11. SW d20 1E

Longspeak

Adventurer
If I'm running a one-shot, WEG 1e. It's fast, it's simple, it's easy to get into.

If I'm running something longer, WEG 2e R&E (or the fan project based on it). More complicated, support for longer term play, still compatible with all the WEG source material.

OR, not listed, my own fan conversions for a more narrative approach.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
We've played a lot of the SWSE rules (including using them for a Mass Effect setting game). But I also really like the FFG rules as well.

Bravesteel25

Baronet of Gaming
I'm a HUGE Star Wars fan. I would say that I am most interested in Star Wars Saga Edition, but I really just want a game altogether! A time with no Star Wars RPG being published is no fun!

Remove ads