Level Up (A5E) Which electronic version of character storage/sheet do you use for A5E characters?

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Roll20.

For years I've had a "Game" on Roll20 that is just a character sheet archive. Literally named 'Character Vault'. I make characters there, and then either move them into the appropriate game if I'm playing on Roll20. If I'm playing in reality I just use my cell phone or laptop to access my character sheet.

Currently I'm playing A5E in Fantasy Grounds, so my character is kept there. However I've also rebuilt the default PDF into a form that I find more usable. It's uploaded here in one of the homebrew character sheet threads (here).

When I use PDFs to track characters (both my own and others), I also keep them stored in a version control repository. (I use Mercurial.) It's not ideal, because PDFs are binary formats, not text, but being able to go back to previous versions (generally one version each level) can make managing things easier.

And now I'm suddenly wondering if it's possible to create a character sheet in markdown, so it could be pure text that could be version controlled properly. I might poke at that idea later.

noodohs

Explorer
VTT. In my case, it's Foundry. When they eventually finish the character builder, I will probably also create them there, especially if they have a PDF export option (I like to keep them after the game is over), but since everything is going to be in the SRD, that may not strictly be necessary. In O5e it was because Foundry simply didn't have everything.

Anselm

Adventurer
I made a googlesheets version. Prior to that, I tried to implement a Notion version that could be printed out but that was pretty clunky. I'm really hoping the official character builder gets us a sheet that is usable for in person games and is easily maintainable. I'm also still hoping a5e sheets get into Demiplane when it becomes more fleshed out.

Here's a screenshot of my homemade spreadsheet (I'm using it for a Zeitgeist campaign so the Character Theme Feat section is relevant there):
1680013329450.png

I use a form fillable PDF but I wish I had the skill to update the old Forged Anvil 5e Excel Spreadsheet for A5e. It was the BEST self-calculating, player-built asset for 5e there was until WotC/Hasbro killed it.

I have additional sheets that I made in Excel and Word to track other things with Pencil/Paper.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I made a googlesheets version. Prior to that, I tried to implement a Notion version that could be printed out but that was pretty clunky. I'm really hoping the official character builder gets us a sheet that is usable for in person games and is easily maintainable. I'm also still hoping a5e sheets get into Demiplane when it becomes more fleshed out.

Here's a screenshot of my homemade spreadsheet (I'm using it for a Zeitgeist campaign so the Character Theme Feat section is relevant there):
View attachment 279994
Is this something you are willing to share?

basiliv

Explorer
I came here to ask this EXACT question. I played around with the character creation tools, but it doesn’t look to me like it’s designed for leveling up (pun intended) characters.

A couple thought on comments above:
  • I’m using FGU, so the idea of a campaign that’s just “Character Vault” isn’t a horrible fallback plan
  • “ I'm really hoping the official character builder gets us a sheet that is usable for in person games and is easily maintainable.” So there’s another official character builder still on the horizon?

Remove ads