D&D 5E Which monsters have the most exciting powers?

Azurewraith

Explorer
[MENTION=6798581]Azurewraith[/MENTION]: My PCs faced a gibbering mouther last session. It freaked them out!

MY party of 3 level 2s went up against one last night was a boring fight as they spotted it to far out due to the gibbering was amusing though watching the fighter charge in on the first turn sword swinging just to be told their stuck due to a flubbed roll and proceed to get mauled as the cleric player just took one look at the fighter player and said "sorry babe i aint going near that thing" he proceeded to cast sacred flame lol

the_cowley

Explorer
My most interesting monster was sand sharks. I was running a 4e Dark Sun game, and had silt sharks harrying my players. They got pretty scared when they started doing a flyby bite and or slam attack. It was more of a skill challange to be frank, keep the silt-skif going while not dying, but easily something that stands out as iconic in my mind

FedeII

First Post
Well, clearly Dragons!

Though, any monster with effects on attacks, a good (non land) speed, a resistance/immunity, and legendary action (these are awesome for battle dinamics) can't be boring, really.

Also, spellcasting monsters usually require the player to pay more attention.

In light of all these my vote goes to aberrations in general (aboleth, mind flayer, beholders, slaads etc), because the ALL have something interesting for the players to painfully experience...

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Pretty much any well-designed monster from 4e. I really like the banderhobb, for instance.

My favorite ever was probably a custom solo 'vexing bugbear' who was just infuriating. He had the following powers and traits which combined to make him a totally aggravating opponent (as well as some other basic attacks and so on- this was his combo menu):

(trait)

Combat Advantage
When Lurpask hits a creature he has combat advantage against, he deals an extra 3d6 points of damage.

(standard action)

(melee) Acrobatic Strike (weapon) * Recharges when first bloodied
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +21 vs. AC.
Hit: 4d8+11 damage, and the target grants combat advantage until the end of Lurpask's next turn.
Effect: Lurpask moves up to 4 squares and gains a +4 bonus to defenses against opportunity attacks triggered by this movement.

(minor action)

Take Advantage * At Will
Effect: Lurpask makes a basic attack against a creature granting combat advantage to him.

(melee) Vexing Feint * At Will
Attack: Melee 1 (one creature); +19 vs. Will.
Hit: Lurpask gains combat advantage against the target until the end of Lurpask's next turn.

(triggered actions)

Vexing Movement * At Will
Trigger: An enemy ends its turn adjacent to Lurpask.
Effect (Free Action): Lurpask moves up to 3 squares. Enemies that decline opportunity attacks triggered by this move grant combat advantage to Lupask until the end of Lurpask's next turn.

Vexing Target * At Well
Trigger: An enemy makes an opportunity attack against Lurpask.
Effect (Free Action 1/turn): Lurpask takes a standard action. If he is subject to an effect that normally prevents him from taking actions (such as dazed, dominated, stunned, etc) other than unconscious, he makes one saving throw against an effect that prevents him from taking actions instead, even if that effect does not normally end on a save.

Agreed! The legendary and lair actions make the fights so much more epic. They also give each dragon even more of a distinct feel.

Well, clearly Dragons!

Though, any monster with effects on attacks, a good (non land) speed, a resistance/immunity, and legendary action (these are awesome for battle dinamics) can't be boring, really.

hejtmane

Explorer
From all editions, the Beholder has always been one of the coolest monsters. The variety of eye rays including death ray, disintegration ray, telekinesis ray, paralysis ray, etc make them one of the most frightening and iconic D&D monsters.

Took the words right out of my mouth

Will Doyle

Explorer
Agreed! The legendary and lair actions make the fights so much more epic. They also give each dragon even more of a distinct feel.

This is actually kind of what I'm working towards - a set of power "templates" that can be applied to a range of monsters, much like legendary powers.

For example, you could have a "Warboss" template. Three times per encounter the target monster can grant a free attack to another ally, have an ally step in the way of attack, or grant an ally advantage on a save. You'd only have one or two templates active in any encounter, and some could even work for groups of monsters.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm interested to hear more about what you're getting at here.

"Kobold tracks? What are kobolds doing here in these crypts? We're all level 9ish (1e), so we are prepared for mummies, wights, and hordes of zombies until we get our hands on Za'Gatul (evil necromancer). Thonal has a girdle of giant strength so all he has to do is flick them and they will die."

(laughter)

later....

DM: "You look up to the balcony from where the surviving kobolds fled to. As you give chase Markin, you see clay pots being flung from the balcony at your direction. Too bad for you Markin, a pot lands right in front of you, blasting into pieces and flinging it's contents all over you. You look down in horror to see large maggots begin to burrow into your skin."

"What the hell do you mean the kobolds flung pots of rot grubs from their hiding places in the balconies!!? Run!!"

"As you turn around, you see a grate has fallen from the ceiling where you didn't notice it in your haste to chase the kobolds. It blocks your way out. On the other side of the piles of rot grubs, behind the balcony railing, you can see the kobolds preparing more pots."

"Orian, do you have any fireballs left?"

"No, but I can break my staff of power...."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases