D&D General Which movie rating would you use to describe your D&D campaigns?

Which MPAA movie rating would you use to warn folks about what to expect in your D&D campaigns?

• Rated G - General Audiences

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rated PG - Parental Guidance suggested

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Rated PG-13 - Parents strongly cautioned – Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Rated R - Restricted – Under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Rated NC-17 - Adults Only

Votes: 13 11.3%

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
As @Charlaquin alludes to, it's different ratings for different aspects:

Language (both in and out of character): X all day long.
Violence: R, more or less, though often cartoonish in a way.
Themes: R, in general. Slavery's an accepted thing in the setting. So is torture sometimes. In-setting societal racism/speciesism is a given; some cultures/species just don't get along with some other cultures/species and have centuries of wars and battles behind them to prove it.
Sex and nudity: I'd say PG-13, but I think our crew trends way less prudish than these ratings are meant for. Others would probably say R.
Drug use: other than mirthweed (in-game equivalent to pot) it just never really comes up. Out-of-game we stick to alcohol. :)

Depends on the genre. Fantasy or pulp action games would probably be closer to PG-13, but not quite there (mostly due to language and occasional description of gore), Cyberpunk games are more in a solid R territory (even more swearing and sex might come more often, even if it still mostly implied; also drugs and racism can show up in the stories). Which, I guess, makes it R in both cases.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
In the over 5 year campaign you ran and we got to complete, that's definitely NC17 for Gunthar alone. The infernal gnome ripping off the head of our companion & eating it in front of us is the Romero Director's Cut of an R-rated campaign your good twin ran somewhere out there in the multiverse. ;)

So far, our current campaign is PG13.

Fair enough!

(for those who haven't figured it out, @ericstephen has played in the majority of the D&D campaigns I've run from 1993 until the present).

R_J_K75

Legend
Drug use: other than mirthweed (in-game equivalent to pot) it just never really comes up. Out-of-game we stick to alcohol. :)
Years ago in the mid-90s I was DMing a 2e game. The PCs found some treasure that included a ring of djinni summoning, so one player ended up with it. The Djinn could grant him 3 wishes but only 1 per summoning. The player decides his PC wants some Elven Redbud and summons the Djinn and makes him grants a wish to give him some pot to smoke. No sooner did he dismiss the Djinn that he realizes he has nothing to smoke it out of. Summons the Djinn again, gets a bowl, and dismisses him then realizes hes got nothing to light it with, and ends up wasting 3 wishes and permanently releases the Djinn from servitude for some weed in the span of 5 minutes. The roleplaying of the whole thing was really funny and still gets brought up from time to time.

Remove ads