• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Which non-core monsters should have been core?

Greg K

Legend
The following which have all been mentioned
banshee
the catoblepas
the peryton
the dao and marid
the paraelementals
the archdevils
the demon princes and lords

any other monsters from the MM1e and 1e MM2 that were left out.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
diaglo said:
bullywug, tabaxi, nishru, gem dragons, flumph...

heck the entire Tome of Horrors.

Heh!

I am also tempted to start a thread of 'What MM1 Monsters Should Not Have Been Core'.

Yes, I am looking at you Mr. Digester, and take your Astral Filching friend with you!

The Auld Grump - Catoblepas, peryton, all the genies...

seankreynolds

Adventurer
diaglo said:
are you sure?

Quite sure.

bullywugs, perytons, and more (just wish i had my book on hand) ...Monsters of Faerun for the 2000ed had some monsters that predated the FR.

What I said was "Many of the creatures in the 2E MM first appeared in FR products."

I wasn't talking about Monsters of Faerun, I was talking about the 2e Monstrous Manual.

I also did not mention the bullywug or peryton, I'm not sure why you are. (Bullywug = 1e FF, Peryton = 1e MM)

Also, MoF is actually a core D&D product -- it has a 3E MM-style cover and doesn't even have an FR logo on it (the Core team and FR team fought over the book a lot, "What, bullywugs aren't core now?" vs. "You Core guys are never going to get around to publishing these critical FR monsters!").

radferth

First Post
Obviously everything from the 1st ed MM, and everything I like from the FF and 1st ed MM II. This definitely includes flumphs, because if your game is going to have WTF monsters, you should at least include the original WTF monster. I know you could not have placed all this in the MM, but they should have at least placed them in the SRD as versions were created.

diaglo

Adventurer
seankreynolds said:
What I said was "Many of the creatures in the 2E MM first appeared in FR products."

I wasn't talking about Monsters of Faerun, I was talking about the 2e Monstrous Manual.

I also did not mention the bullywug or peryton, I'm not sure why you are. (Bullywug = 1e FF, Peryton = 1e MM)

Also, MoF is actually a core D&D product -- it has a 3E MM-style cover and doesn't even have an FR logo on it (the Core team and FR team fought over the book a lot, "What, bullywugs aren't core now?" vs. "You Core guys are never going to get around to publishing these critical FR monsters!").

okay, i misread what you meant. well the 2edADnD Monstrous Manual was open for other campaign settings too. there were a few in there that were lifted from the FR. but the majority still came from pre-FR. which doesn't change your statement at all. it just may help clear up the misunderstanding of how it is read.

as for your other comments... most of the people i know think Faerun = Forgotten Realms.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I totally agree with the death knight. Of course if they would have put the death knight in MM1, I would not have had the opportunity to design it (and not be properly credited for it.... twice :p )

Voadam

Legend
seankreynolds said:

To be fair you also said "Uh such as?" in response to the part you quoted stating "Pretty much any of the critters in the Forgotten Realms books that used to be in the 1st ed. "core" monster books."

My mention of bullywugs was in response to the "such as" part, as I assume others responses were as well.

the Jester

Legend
Another one I really miss (or really, a whole section) is the oriental dragons. Yeah, I know they're in OA, but man! I really wish they were in the books I flip through to spark ideas for random encounters.

JoeGKushner

First Post
seankreynolds said:
Uh, such as? Many of the creatures in the 2E MM first appeared in FR products: the dracolich, the beholder variants, etc. Nowadays most people think FR "stole" those creatures, but they originated in FR.

Drow woudl be the first ones I'd think of.

And of course Dragonlance yanked Death Knights.

Remove ads