Which non-D&D fantasy RPG do you currently play?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I'd like to read your considerations on these games. Have you already written about it somewhere?
Nope, but hit me, Im ready. I'm very solid on BH2E and Vagabonds. Worlds is something im just starting with, although it looks awesome.

Edit: I can link to my current BH2E PbP game if you're interested.

Numidius

Adventurer
Nope, but hit me, Im ready. I'm very solid on BH2E and Vagabonds. Worlds is something im just starting with, although it looks awesome.

Edit: I can link to my current BH2E PbP game if you're interested.
Yes, please, link it .

BH2e was a candidate to run Lost caverns but I didn't have time to learn it and convert stuff.

Vagabonds looks interesting for a more characters centered game. Maybe a fast and loose fill-in game when just a couple of my Players can show up. What are its strong points in your opinion?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yes, please, link it .

BH2e was a candidate to run Lost caverns but I didn't have time to learn it and convert stuff.

Vagabonds looks interesting for a more characters centered game. Maybe a fast and loose fill-in game when just a couple of my Players can show up. What are its strong points in your opinion?
What I'm running is BH2E with a heavy overlay of Into the Wyrd and Wild. I have a bespoke bestiary that I converted and I'm not using any standard D&D beasties. Below are links to the IC thread, the OOC thread, and my resources page that has some reference pages I made for the campaign. If you want to see my bestiary and GM facing stuff I'd happily email it to you. The campaign itself is sort of Beyond the Wall feeling, where the characters start in a small frontier town and then sandbox stuff happens.

In Character Thread
Out of Character Thread
Resources

BH2E is a great OSR rules set to run skilled play games. The rules are light but comprehensive, and dead easy to hack. I've had no issue laying the other book over the BH framework, and as I run the game I'm working on my own BH hack making this and that hack to better orient the rules to the game experience I'm looking for.

Vagabonds is also a very cool game. It's OSR-adjacent but it used the PbtA basic mechanic for action resolution, with some FitB bits around the edges. It's pretty slick. I like it because it works a grim Swords and Sorcery feel, which I like, but it's also classless, which is also very cool for S&S. It has some great supplements too.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Playing Freebooters on Frontier intermittently. Looking at running either L5R 5e or Exalted 3e after Apocalypse Keys runs its course.

Schmoe

Adventurer
None right now, albeit my D&D games are 3.5e. I'm pretty happy with our mechanics for now, as are the players, and am more interested in seeing the campaigns develop than trying new systems.

Last edited:

Bluenose

Adventurer
Currently, Heroquest: Glorantha and Questworlds (generic but in use for fantasy), although the question comes just a few weeks too late to catch Barbarians of Lemuria. The first game started early in lockdown and will soon finish, it might get replaced by Worlds Without Number (but probably won't) and the second is about to go on hiatus for a while and won't be replaced by a fantasy game. Haven;t played D&D for four years and don't think it's likely to happen for a long time.

I'll continue to plug Blades in the Dark! Our gang of supernaturally-connected spies dug deep into their subplots and faction relationships in the most recent downtime session. Noble gangster Scotch roughed up Imperial propagandist Lady Sternwall while Tycherosi spy Zhao made a bargain with the ghost of Lord Sternwall to free him from his widow's grasp. Demon-blooded technician Irfan befriended a senior organizer of the Demon-Blooded Anonymous association through charitable works for disabled sailors. Zhao used Rigney's Tavern as a base from which to spread rumours blaming Lord Strangford for the failure of the Leviathan Hunter expedition. Happy Simon the thief discovered that the Nightmarket Business Council was hiring the crew to guard a summit with The Hive, the notorious smugglers who killed his mother. And the necromantic Sacred Karen overindulged in her weird vices, drawing the attention of Imperial Intelligence.

Now the crew looks to its next job: to rescue a Reconciled ghost spy captured by the Sparkwrights!

It's probably my all-time favourite campaign I've run in my 45 years.

Remove ads