Which of these is the optimal distance of measurement for your TTRPG enjoyment?

Which of these do you prefer/use?

• Feet

Votes: 36 45.6%
  • Yards (3 feet)

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • Meters (100 centimeters or 39 inches and some change)

Votes: 33 41.8%
  • Cubits (17-19 inches, or as I like to say, 18 inches)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other, please elaborate

Votes: 25 31.6%

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Precision in measurement is vital to argument avoidance, as the difference between being 9 feet away and 11 feet away from that 10-foot-radius blast can sometimes be the difference between a PC's life and death.
I think this really varies by table.

I DM for a lot of players and no one I currently play with would make a big deal over this. But I certainly believe you that it's a big issue at your table.

I don't think it's a universal thing.

mamba

Legend
This. Divorce it from real world measurements. You can pair it by saying squares or hexes, but let the table decide what one square or hex means. This allows more freedom at the table and one to have a choice between mini play and TotM.
I don't know, as soon as you have maps, the squares will end up being compared to real world measurements, whether one is 10 feet, 5 feet, 3 feet, or whatever else will be pretty clear

As to what I prefer, stick with feet, I am used to it and anyone who knows what a meter is can pretty much figure out how much that is in feet. I don't think the reverse is true, that is why we still have feet as a unit in the first place ;)

Slit518

Adventurer
I, like so many of those in this hobby, prefer Palms. They're the only truly distinctive means of calculating space without employing a calculator.
The funny thing is, after I posted this, I thought to myself, "Damn, I forgot palms!"
What is a Palm, like 4 inches?

The OP didn't specify that this is only talking about combat. It's one thing to use abstractions or squares (hexes, etc) for simplicity in specific situations. But I find the idea of an RPG world with literally no unit system to be quite silly.

"Hail, fellow traveler. It's lovely meeting someone on a lonely road such as this. Can you tell me how many squares until the next town?"

"This is the fastest boat in the fleet. She can out sail the fastest pirate by 10 squares a round."

"You must travel one hundred 'fars' past the cursed forest, then walk two 'nears' to the east. From there, you will see the entrance to the cave just one 'close' away from the statue of the goddess."

"I demand this textile merchant be arrested for fraud! I paid for five diagonals of cloth. But he counted them as 2-1-2 when the law of session 0 clearly states he owes me 1-2-1 plus an orthogonal."

Last edited:

Remove ads