D&D 5E Which played-out D&D trope needs to die?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Speaking of tired tropes, I was thinking of having an NPC adventuring party of degenerate tropes of the various classes

So what is the best combination of the worst 4-5 class tropes?

Barbarian with anger issues
Horny lustful bard
Greedy Rogue
Clearly Evil warlock
Lazy TN Druid
Forgot Superstoick vulcan "my super smart character would self optimize "minmaxer wizard.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Hiya!

I must have, because right now it sounds like you're saying that if someone is proud of what they did and paths themselves on the back, that doing so automatically means they are denigrating others. That's...not what you mean, right? Because that makes no sense at all. Sorry for misunderstanding.

^_^

Paul L. Ming
No. I’m saying that an awful lot of self-back-patting in RPG forums is predicated upon the denigration of others, either implicitly or explicitly. The target is often newcomers to the game and “kids” (which sometimes what looks to me like kids looking down on even younger kids). Sometimes the target is inferior roleplayers, or poor optimizers.

This thread, for example, is a great big pile-on of how unimaginative and cliche-ridden “other”people are, whether it’s players or DMs or authors. But not us, no. We are original and creative and elite.

I might not have seen it that way if so many other threads didn’t have the same tone.

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
No. I’m saying that an awful lot of self-back-patting in RPG forums is predicated upon the denigration of others, either implicitly or explicitly. The target is often newcomers to the game and “kids” (which sometimes what looks to me like kids looking down on even younger kids). Sometimes the target is inferior roleplayers, or poor optimizers.

This thread, for example, is a great big pile-on of how unimaginative and cliche-ridden “other”people are, whether it’s players or DMs or authors. But not us, no. We are original and creative and elite.

I might not have seen it that way if so many other threads didn’t have the same tone.
The one trope I mentioned is something that I have participated in as a player and facilitated as a DM. I'm just sick of of seeing it. I do admit, though, a pat on the back would be nice.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
The one trope I mentioned is something that I have participated in as a player and facilitated as a DM. I'm just sick of of seeing it. I do admit, though, a pat on the back would be nice.

Not every post is an example of the pattern I'm describing.

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
The wizened priest responds, “You were all summoned across the gulf of time and place by a ritual. We needed heroes to help us in our time of greatest need!”
“…and we will gladly send you off on trivial quests to earn money so you can buy this low level crap to earn more money to buy better crap until finally you can buy the God Slayer axe and save our world from destruction! What? You may be our only hope but you expect we’re just gonna give you stuff?!”…

teitan

Legend
None. Some need to be revived because what some may see as a trope may even be modern. The game has changed so much since 3.5 from default assumptions to “tropes” that what is a trope now was the weird thing not even 5 years ago. When I think of tropes I think of Tolkien elves (which I love) and rescuing princesses (lame). There was a time when Drow, Mind Flayers and Beholders were something that people talked about but these days are commonly used because they have such amazing imagery and are one of those things D&D has leaned into under WOTC because these are the creatures that are purely D&D. That’s led to some over exposure for classic monsters that were uncommonly or rarely used or encountered. The only thing that I think needs to “die” are causes to end things for being “tropes” to such an extent that a DM can’t creatively use the trope.

Remove ads