D&D 5E Which played-out D&D trope needs to die?

S'mon

Legend
I am curious. Do you ever do "standard" accents for various races?

Yeah, I do do the Scottish-ish (really more a mix of Scottish & Northern Irish, where I'm from) dwarf thing as I think it's funny. :) I may do a working class London accent for Orcs, my working class London players don't mind :) - one of them does a funny upper class Home Counties accent for his Paladin PC.

turnip_farmer

Adventurer
I am curious. Do you ever do "standard" accents for various races?
The only place I've seen Scottish dwarves is Critical Role, I think. I like my dwarves with a northern English accent (that's how they're always portrayed in Warhammer computer games).

It matters little as I'm very bad at mimicking accents, so whatever I'm trying to do is rarely recognisable.

Oofta

Legend
The only place I've seen Scottish dwarves is Critical Role, I think. I like my dwarves with a northern English accent (that's how they're always portrayed in Warhammer computer games).

It matters little as I'm very bad at mimicking accents, so whatever I'm trying to do is rarely recognisable.
The first time I encountered a Scottish accent for dwarves was in World of Warcraft back before it was an MMO. I admit I do the psuedo-Scottish accent nowadays, but before the game came out I would just do a bit deeper voice than normal.

According to Atlas Obscura based on Tolkien, dwarves should have sounded Arabic or Hebrew. Elves should have been Finnish or Welsh.

Fifinjir

Explorer
Do you want an exotic theme park or a setting with consistent world building? You can’t have nice peasants and a pseudo-medieval hellscape full of bandits and monsters with a bazillion horrible modus operandi centered on killing and eating said peasants.

Realistically, the peasants should all be 40k Catachans.

Counter possibility: the peasants know they can’t be too picky about who stands next to them on the barricades when the monsters come.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I like a good trope. Sometimes I even like a bad trope. It depends on how it's done in the moment.

Although I do struggle to think of an example of the "broody loner orphan edge-lord" that I haven't wanted to slap the player for. But in theory I could enjoy this. Maybe... the orphan edge-lord's mum (i: not an orphan, is just pretending to be) shows up to the tavern with their paper bag lunch. "I've cut the crusts off, love, just how you like it."

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Oh, I hate those. Always marching to war against the wind. Despicable.
Indeed. A seasoned orc mime and their invisible wall is a master of battlefield control, truly an opponent to be feared!

H9U.gif

Remove ads