D&D 5E Which played-out D&D trope needs to die?

Hussar

Legend
The first time I encountered a Scottish accent for dwarves was in World of Warcraft back before it was an MMO. I admit I do the psuedo-Scottish accent nowadays, but before the game came out I would just do a bit deeper voice than normal.

According to Atlas Obscura based on Tolkien, dwarves should have sounded Arabic or Hebrew. Elves should have been Finnish or Welsh.
Oof. That might be a bit on the nose.

Bird Of Play

Explorer
Elves are feminine, dwarves are masculine, and drow are horny/sexy.

When I suddenly understood the psychological pattern behind those three tropes, I decided I'd avoid them, without denaturing the classic visuals of the character.

So yeah, elves are tall and don't have much body hair and prefer to keep their hair long, but you know who else is tall and without much body hair and has long hair? Conan the barbarian.

Ok, dwarves are hairy and stout and like to drink beer but don't tell me this stout hairy duergar lady isn't feminine:

Attachments

• Aiub_Etnem_duergar.png
    Aiub_Etnem_duergar.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 78

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
NPCs who have information you need but the GM wants or needs to hoard information so in an attempt to build intrigue and mystery they play the NPC as annoyingly super-cryptic and aloof. There are lots of ways to play a reticent NPC - they don't all have to be aloof and cryptic.

Oofta

Legend
NPCs who have information you need but the GM wants or needs to hoard information so in an attempt to build intrigue and mystery they play the NPC as annoyingly super-cryptic and aloof. There are lots of ways to play a reticent NPC - they don't all have to be aloof and cryptic.
You'd rather that they were standoffish and enigmatic? ;)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Sorcerer subtle-casts Suggestion. "Tell us everything you know about <X>." And the NPC ... does.

1. Chaotic Stupid (Neutral) as an excuse to do evil/ridiculous/insane bull$**t. I have seen this many times and I am sick of it.

2. Lawful Stupid Paladin. Thankfully, this has become much less of a problem in 5E.

3. Slutty Drow Priestess/Assassin.

4. All dwarves are ugly, the women especially.

5. The "lone wolf" who demands hours of solo time and won't cooperate with the party.

6. I'm too sexy for my shirt / Too sexy for my shirt / So sexy it hurts

7. The useless, lame-o character who contributes nothing and stands idly by while everyone else is desperately trying to survive in combat. You find yourself praying a higher power will smite this player from the game because they are more useless than tits on a boar. This one is not really a trope, just a personal pet peeve.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
1. Chaotic Stupid (Neutral) as an excuse to do evil/ridiculous/insane bull$**t. I have seen this many times and I am sick of it.

2. Lawful Stupid Paladin. Thankfully, this has become much less of a problem in 5E.

3. Slutty Drow Priestess/Assassin.

4. All dwarves are ugly, the women especially.

5. The "lone wolf" who demands hours of solo time and won't cooperate with the party.

6. I'm too sexy for my shirt / Too sexy for my shirt / So sexy it hurts

7. The useless, lame-o character who contributes nothing and stands idly by while everyone else is desperately trying to survive in combat. You find yourself praying a higher power will smite this player from the game because they are more useless than tits on a boar. This one is not really a trope, just a personal pet peeve.
is 7 deliberate or accidental?

Remove ads