D&D 5E Which played-out D&D trope needs to die?

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Oh, you're awake. We're riding in a wagon to Helgen. Once we get there, you'll get to decide whether to fight for the Roman Empire or white supremacists.

Lol. In fairness, at least in Skyrim you CAN choose to ignore them both completely and still finish the game.

In Fallout 4, there are no two ways about it - if you want to complete the game, then one way or another you're gonna become a mur-diddly-urdler. See also Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2. See also Wasteland 2 & 3.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
I like many standard tropes (e.g. rescue the princess) if they are player initiated via backgrounds and/or goals.

One that I have seen among some pre-3e groups and seems more common in modern D&D among players, third party designers, and even WOTC designers is the modelling of classes/sub-classes or character concepts upon Marvel and DC superheroes (e.g. Avengers, Psylocke, Batman, Wolverine). There are many superhero rpgs that do comic book superheroes and they do so better than D&D (and I would more more than gladly run/play a superhero game).

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I think the internet board trope "This trope is cliche/played out" is totally played out. With respect to FRPGs - the trope is played out for whom? There are new people coming into the hobby all the time. Maybe it's not played out for them, just for the grizzled veterans with dead souls.

Remove ads