D&D 5E Which played-out D&D trope needs to die?

Oofta

Legend
So here, what, you're assuming that there's no options beyond "it's clearly a monster because it looks different; we must kill it!" and a happy fun kid's show. There can't be something in the middle?

So, elves and dwarfs are clearly there to be killed.
The mods shut down threads that veer into this discussion. I'm done. Besides, we'll never agree so I don't see the point.

theCourier

Adventurer
so what have you got them doing instead, wise frog on top of troll thing that my sister cares about?
1st things 1st, your sister has good taste!

2nd, Battles against blood cultists, giant antmen that bloodily invade weddings, and delving beneath the earth and finding the lost city of brass! Those are the ones I've played, at least. I find it a lot more engaging to just. Do stuff that would normally be seen as "high level" in low levels with the very real threat of death and with the goal being to survive instead, and maybe make a nice profit off some stolen treasure if possible.

I live by the "This Is What a First Level Dungeon Should Look Like" meme, but sadly, it seems to have disappeared from the internet.

Can that really happen?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Tell that to Goblin Slayer, which sold 7 million copies.
one book does not itself make a trend, plus I am less certain of the Japanese fantasy scene but it seems to be based on the standard model Japanese fantasy universe which is fairly odd from my perspective and has most literally randomly appear in dungeons that can spring from nothing so it seems more likely a possibly deconstructive take on their generic fantasy setting as it is made to be anti progression, in the sense of moving on to fight other things.

Remove ads